Professor of Civil and Environmental
Phone: (808) 956-9652
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
Personal Homepage: click here
Areas of Specialty and Research Interest:
Water quality engineering,
water quality assessment with special emphasis on groundwater, pesticides,
flow and transport processes in variably-saturated media, surface and
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana, 1994
- M.S., Civil Engineering, Texas Tech University, Lubbock, 1984
- M.Sc., Agricultural Engineering, University of Manitoba, Canada,
- B.S., Agricultural Engineering, Orissa University of Agriculture
and Technology, India 1980
- Registered Professional Engineer (PE), Civil Engineering, Illinois,
- Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and
Researcher, Water Resources Research Center, University of Hawaii at
Manoa, 8/2006 – present
- Professor, Faculty of Engineering, University of Georgia, 1/2008-12/2008Associate
Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and Associate
- Researcher, Water Resources Research Center, University
of Hawaii at Manoa, 8/2001 – 7/2006.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering,
University of Hawaii at Manoa, 8/1997 – 6/2001.
- Associate Professional Scientist, Illinois State Water Survey, Champaign,
1994 – 1997.
- Research Associate, Illinois State Water Survey, Champaign, 1989
- Staff Engineer, Geraghty & Miller, Inc., Hackensack, 1985 - 1988.
- CEE 270: Applied Mechanics I: Statics
- CEE 320: Fluid Mechanics
- CEE 330: Introduction to Environmental Engineering
- CEE 424: Applied Hydrology
- CEE 625: Soil Hydrologic Processes (Vadose Zone Hydrology)
- CEE630: Water Resources Systems Planning and Management (20% contribution)
- CEE 635: Environmental Chemistry
- CEE 627: Ground-Water Hydrology
- CEE 643: Hazardous Waste Remediation
- Associate Editor, Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering,
2003 - present.
- Editorial Board, Journal of Clean Technology and Environmental Policy,
- Publications Committee, Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering,
- Water Supply Committee, Environmental and Water Resources Institute,
- Groundwater Hydrology Committee, Environmental and Water Resources
Institute, ASCE, 2004-present.
- Universities Council on Water Resources (UCOWR), representative,
University of Hawaii (2003-date).
- Member, ASCE, AGU, NGWA, and AWWA
Awards and Honors:
- Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers
- Diplomate, American Academy of Water Resources Engineers
- Fulbright Senior Scholarship, Nepal/India/Bangladesh, 5.5 mo, 2003-2004.
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science Fellowship, 2003.
- OECD faculty fellowship, Czech Technical University, Prague, 2003.
- OECD Faculty Fellowship, Muncheberg, Germany, July 1-31, 1998.
Recent Research Grants:
- Use of recycled materials for highway landscaping, Hawaii Department of Transportation
- Modeling to Support Monitoring Waiver for Selected Wells in Hawaii, Hawaii Department of Health
- Uptake of pharmaceuticals compounds by edible crops under different moisture regimes, NIFA (USDA)
- APIX: Asia Pacific Information Exchange for Humanitarian Assistance, Office of Naval Research
- Sustainable Management of Agroecological Resources for Tribal Societies (SMARTS), USAID
- IRES: U.S.-Germany Collaborative Research and Education on Riverbank Filtration Systems for Drinking Water Supply, National Science Foundation
Books and Monographs
- Ray, C. and R. Jain. 2011. Drinking Water Treatment, 290 p., Springer, ISBN: 978-94-007-1103-7.
- Ray, C. and M. Shamrukh, 2010. Riverbank Filtration for Water Security in Desert Countries, 300 p., Springer, IS BN: 978-94-007-0025-3.
- Ray, C. 2003. Pesticides in Domestic Wells, Monograph series,
American Society of Agricultural Engineers, St. Joseph, MI, ISBN 1-892769-29-8.
- Ray, C., G. Melin, and R. Linsky (eds), 2002. Riverbank Filtration:
Improving Source Water Quality, Kluwer Academic Publishers,
Dordrech, The Netherlands, ISBN 1-4020-1133-4.
- Ray, C. 2002. Riverbank Filtration: Understanding Contaminant Biogeochemistry and Pathogen Removal, Kluwer Academic Publishers, ISBN 1-4020-0954-2.
- Sahoo, G.B. and C. Ray. 2009. Use of artificial neural networks for predicting ground water contamination, in Groundwater Modeling, Management, and Contamination (L.F. Konig and J.L. Weiss eds), Nova Publishers, New York, NY, p: 315-334.p: 3-14.
- Ray, C., T. Grischek, S. Hubbs, J. Drewes, D. Haas, and C. Darnault. 2008. Riverbank filtration for drinking water supply, in M.G. Anderson (ed), Encyclopedia of Hydrological Sciences, John Wiley & Sons, DOI: 10.1002/0470848944.hsa305, 16 p.
- Sahoo, G.B. and C. Ray. 2008. Flow forecasting using artificial neural network and a distributed hydrologic model, MIKE SHE, Chapter 10, New Topics in Water Resources Research and Management (H.M. Andreassen ed.), Nova Publishers, New York, NY, p: 315-334.
Recent Journal Articles
- Ray, C., A. Babbar, B. Yoneyama, L. Sheild, B. Respicio, and C. Ishii. 2012. Evaluation of low-cost water purification systems for humanitarian assistance and disaster relief (HA/DR), Clean Technology & Environmental Policy (DOI: 10.1007/s10098-012-0530-1).
- Sharma, L., J. Greskowiak, C. Ray, P. Eckert, and H. Prommer. 2012. Elucidating temperature effects on seasonal variations of biogeochemical turnover rates during riverbank filtration, J. Hydrol. (DOI: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2012.01.028)
- Shuai, X., J. Chen, and C. Ray. 2012. Adsorption, transport, and degradation of fipronil termiticide in three Hawaii soils, Pest Management Science, 68: 731-739.
- Shelton, J., L. Kim, J. Fang, C. Ray, and T. Yan. 2011. Assessing the Severity of Rainfall Derived Infiltration and Inflow and Sewer Deterioration Based on the Flux Stability of Sewage Markers, Environmental Sci. Tech 45(20): 8683–8690.
- Mohanram, A., C. Ray, D.W. Metge, L.B. Barber, J.N. Ryan, and R.W. Harvey. 2011. Effect of Dissolved Organic Carbon on the Transport and Attachment Behaviors of Cryptosporidium parvum oocysts and Carboxylate-Modified Microspheres Advected through Temperate Humic and Tropical Volcanic Agricultural soil, Environmental Sci. Tech, (DOI: 10.1021/es2003342, Publication Date (Web): June 28, 2011)
- Sou, I.M., J.S. Allen III, C.N. Layman, and C. Ray. 2011. A synchronized particle image velocimetry and infrared thermography technique applied to an acoustic streaming flow, Expt Fluids, 51(5): 1201-1208.
- Dusek, J., M. Dohnal, T. Vogel, and C. Ray. 2011. Field leaching of pesticides at five test sites in Hawaii: Modeling flow and transport, Pest Management Science, 67: 1571-1582.
- Layman, C.N., I.M. Sou, R. Bartak, C. Ray, and J. S. Allen. 2011. Characterization of acoustic streaming and heating using synchronized infrared thermography and particle image velocimetry, Ultrasonics Sonochemistry, 18(5): 1258-1261.
- Sobotkova, M., M. Snehota, C. Ray, and M. Dohnal. 2011. Determination of hydraulic properties of a tropical soil of Hawaii using a column experiments and inverse modeling, Brazil Soil Science, 35: 1229-1239.
- Sandhu, C., T. Grischek, P. Kumar, and C. Ray. 2011. Potential for riverbank filtration in India, Clean Technology and Environmental Policy, 13:295-316.
- Alavi, G., M. Chung, J. Lichwa, M. D’Alessio, and C. Ray. 2011. The fate and transport of RDX, HMX, TNT and DNT in the volcanic soils of Hawaii: A laboratory and modeling study, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 185: 1600-1604.
- Vithanage, G., A. Mohanram, B.S. Yoneyama, and C. Ray. 2012. Fate and transport of Vibrio parahaemolyticus through granular media, International Conference on Assessing pathogen fate, transport, and risk in natural and engineered water treatment, Canadian Waters Network, Banff, Canada, September 23-26, 2012.
- Ki, S.J., P. Das, and C. Ray. 2012. Enhancement of a pesticide leaching assessment tool in Hawaii for screening volatile agrochemicals, 244th American Chemical Society National Meeting and Exposition, Philadelphia, PA, August 19-24, 2012.
- Mohanram, A., K. Zander, M. D’Alessio, L. Sharma, B. Yoneyama, and C. Ray. 2012. Stormwater induced clogging of infiltration trenches and resulting water quality changes, World Environmental and Water Resources Congress, Albuquerque, NM, May 20-24, American Society of Civil Engineers.
- D’Alessio, M., G. El-Swaify, T. Kumagai, A. Babbar, B. Yoneyama, and C. Ray. 2012. Stress testing of a slow-sand filter for humanitarian assistance use, World Environmental and Water Resources Congress, Albuquerque, NM, May 20-24, American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Ray, C. 2011. Use of Horizontal Collector Wells in Riverbank Filtration Systems for Water Supply in the United States, GEOINDO 2011, The International Conference on Geology, Geotechnology, and Mineral Resources of Indochina, Khon Kaen, Thailand, December 1-3, Khon Kaen University.
- D’Alessio, M. and C. Ray. 2011. Fate and transport of endocrine disruptive chemicals into Hawaiian soils, Environmental Chemistry Division, 241st American Chemical Society National Meeting & Expo, Anaheim, CA, March 27-31, 2011.
Home | Admissions & Financial
Aid | Undergraduate
Study | Graduate
Study | Faculty & Staff | Research