Panos D. Prevedouros
Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Office: Holmes Hall 340
Phone: (808) 956-9698
Personal Homepage: click here
Areas of Specialty and Research Interest
- Transportation engineering: Traffic analysis and simulation, demand forecasting, intelligent transportation systems (ITS) and infrastructure sustainability.
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois,
- M.S., Civil Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois,
- B.S., Civil Engineering, Aristotle University, Thessalonica, Greece,
- Registered Professional Engineer in Greece and the European Community,
- Assistant Professor (1990-1993) and Associate Professor
(1994-2004), Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University
of Hawaii at Manoa.
- Consultant for Attica Tollway (Attiki Odos), Olympia Odos, Aegean Motorway, The IBI Group, Inc., the Pacific International Center for High Technology Research, INTRACOM S.A., The R. M. Towill Corporation, Cambridge Systematics, Inc., and other engineering and law firms.
- CEE361: Fundamentals of Transpotation Engineering
- CEE462: Traffic Engineering
- CEE444: Infrastructure: Project Impacts, Policy and Sustainability
- HONORS 491: The Automobile – A Multidisciplinary Analysis
- CEE660: Transportation Evaluation and Logistics
- CEE661: Intelligent Transportantion Systems
- CEE664: Advanced Transportation Modeling
- Local Organizer, Steering Committee Member and Technical Program Coordinator: 2nd International Symposium of Freeway and Tollway Operations, TRB, Honolulu, Hawaii, June 21-24, 2009.
- National Research Council, TRB representative to the UH, 1990-present.
- TRB committee AHB20: Freeway operations; 02/03-04/12.
- Chair, Freeway Simulation Subcommittee AHB20(2) (5/05-present)
- TRB Task Force AH010T: Surface Transportation Weather; 9/05-4/08.
- ASCE, national committee on Street and Highway Operations; 7/93-present.
- Past member of National Research Council, TRB committees A1C04 on traveler behavior and values (1993-2002), A1J04 on airport terminals and ground access (1992-2004), A1J05 on airfield and airspace capacity and delay (1992-1998), A1F04 on transportation vibration and noise (1994-2000), A3B05/A3B11 on Traffic Records and Accident Analysis (1996-1998, 1999-2002).
- Chair of the transportation technical group, Hawaii section of ASCE (1993-1996, 2000-2002).
- Established and advisor of ITE Student Chapter at the UH-Manoa (1993-2003).
- Reviewer for Transportation Research (Pergamon Press), Transportation Research Record (National Research Council), Transportation (Kluwer Academic Publishers), World Conference on Transport Research, ASCE journals, and the Greek Ministry of Education.
- Member of the UH Manoa General Education: Writing Board 1991-1993 and Oral Board (2002-2004).
- Member of the UH Research Council (1999-2002).
- Developer and coordinator of the Traffic and Transportation Laboratory (TTL) which presently includes seven work stations and two AUTOSCOPE RackVisions. Software test and evaluation site: EZSignals, HCS, INTEGRATION, KRONOS v.8/v.9, SYNCHRO, WATSim, SimTRAFFIC, TSIS/CORSIM, TRANSYT-7 & 8, DYNASMART, FREQ12, and VISSIM.
Awards and Honors
- 1994 Listed in American Men and Women of Science.
- 1995 Best Paper Award on Transportation Noise, TRB, National Research Council.
- 1996 Outstanding Civil Engineering Faculty Award, ASCE-Hawaii.
- 1996 Listed in Who's Who Among America's Teachers.
- 2003 One of Hawaii Reporter's "50 people who Rocked Hawaii in 2003."
- 2005 Institute of Transportation Engineers Van Wagoner Award for ITE Journal Paper on Urban Underpasses.
- 2008 State of Hawaii House of Representatives, Certificate of Honor for Congestion Study for Oahu by UH Traffic and Transportation Laboratory.
- 2009 One of Hawaii Reporter's "Hawaii's Seven Superheroes."
- 2009 One of Star Bulletin's "Ten People Who Made a Difference in Hawaii in 2008."
- 2009 Service Award, Freeway Operations, TRB, National Research Council.
- 2010 Certificate of Service – 20 Years, University of Hawaii.
- 2010 Certificates of Appreciation: Air Cargo Association of Hawaii, Manoa Waioli Lions Club, Engineers and Architects of Hawaii.
- 2011 Sustainability Paper Award, World Road Association, PIARC 2011 Conference, Mexico City.
- 2012 Letter of Appreciation, Advanced Research and Training Institute, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- 2012 Council of the City and County of Honolulu, Honor Certificate for Public Service.
Research Projects (2000-2013)
- Prevedouros, Panos D. (P.I.) and Alan Horowitz, CEE, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, "Traffic Forecasting Guidelines," Project funded by the FHWA (80%) and the Hawaii DOT (20%), 2012-2014.
- Prevedouros, Panos D. (P.I.) "HAVO Traffic And Parking: Current Issues, Future Solutions," Hawaii Volcanoes National Park (HAVO), Department of the Interior, (100%), 2007-2010.
- Prevedouros, Panos D. (P.I.) "Investigation of ASIM 29X, CANOGA, RTMS, SAS-1 and SMARTSENSOR for LTP, AVC AND RTTM," Project funded by the FHWA (80%) and the Hawaii DOT (20%), 2007-2010.
- Prevedouros, Panos D. (P.I.) "Traffic Noise Analysis and Abatement Guidelines," Project funded by the FHWA (80%) and the Hawaii DOT (20%), 2006-2011.
- Prevedouros, Panos D. (P.I.) "Simulation of Westbound Interstate H-1 Freeway between the Airport Viaduct and Waikele", Project funded by the Oahu Metropolitan Planning Organization with FHWA (80%) and the Hawaii DOT (20%) funds, 2004-2005.
- Prevedouros, Panos D. (P.I.) "Investigation of Traffic Detectors for Use in Hawaii". Project funded by the FHWA (80%) and the Hawaii DOT (20%), 1999-2004.
- Prevedouros, Panos D. (P.I.) "Evaluation of LightGuard Flashing Lights at Pedestrian Crossings on Pali Hwy." Project funded by the FHWY through the Highways Division, State of Hawaii DOT, 2/2000-12/2000.
- Prevedouros, Panos D. (P.I.) "Evaluation of the Effects of Experimental Closure of the Bingham Street off-ramp." Project funded by the Highway Division, State of Hawaii DOT, 9/2000-8/2001.
Journal Publications (2000-2013)
- Paravantis, John A. and Panos D. Prevedouros, Railroads in Greece: History, Characteristics and Forecasts. Transportation Research Record, No. 1742: 34-44, 2001.
- Li, Honglong and Panos D. Prevedouros, Detailed Observations of Saturation Headways and Start-up Lost Times, Transportation Research Record, No. 1802: 44-53, 2002.
- Zhang, Lin and Panos D. Prevedouros, Signalized Intersection LOS that Accounts for Accident Risk, Transportation Research Record, No. 1852: 77-86, 2003.
- Li, Honglong and Panos D. Prevedouros, Traffic Adaptive Control for Oversaturated Isolated Intersections: Model Development and Simulation Testing, ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering, Vol. 30, No. 5, September 2004.
- Prevedouros, Panos D. and Kerwin Chang, Potential Effects of Wet Conditions on Signalized Intersection LOS. ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering, Vol. 131, No. 12: 898-903, December 2005.
- Ji, Xiaojin (Jerry) and Panos D. Prevedouros. Effects of Parameter Distributions and Correlations on Uncertainty Analysis of HCM Delay Model for Signalized Intersections. Transportation Research Record, No. 1920: 118-124, 2005.
- Ji, Xiaojin (Jerry) and Panos D. Prevedouros. Comparison of Methods for Sensitivity and Uncertainty Analysis of Signalized Intersections Analyzed with HCM 2000. Transportation Research Record, No. 1920: 56-64, 2005.
- Ji, Xiaojin (Jerry) and Panos D. Prevedouros. Probabilistic Analysis of HCM Delay for Signalized Intersections. Transportation Research Record, No. 1988: 67-75, 2006.
- Watson, James R., and Panos D. Prevedouros. Derivation of Origin-Destination Distributions from Traffic Counts: Implications to Freeway Simulation. Transportation Research Record, No. 1964: 260-269, 2006.
- Prevedouros, Panos D., Jerry Ji, Konstantinos Papandreou, Pantelis Kopelias, and Villy Vegiri. Video Incident Detection Tests in Freeway Tunnels. Transportation Research Record, No. 1959: 130-139, 2006.
- Zhang, Lin, Adrian Ricardo Archilla and Panos D Prevedouros, Ordered Probit Modeling of User Perceptions of Protected Left-Turn Signals, ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering, Vol. 133, No. 3, March 2007.
- Halkias, B., P. Kopelias, K. Papandreou, A. Politou, P. Prevedouros, A. Skabardonis, Freeway Bottleneck Simulation, Implementation and Evaluation. Transportation Research Record, No. 2012: 84-93, 2007.
- Kopelias, P., F. Papadimitriou, K. Papandreou, P. Prevedouros, Urban Freeway Crash Analysis – Geometric, Operational and Weather Effects on Crash Number and Severity. Transportation Research Record, No. 2015: 123-131, 2007.
- Ji, Xiaojin (Jerry) and Panos D. Prevedouros, Probabilistic Analysis of HCM Models: Case Study of Signalized Intersections. Transportation Research Record, No. 2027: 58-64, 2007.
- Prevedouros, Panos D., B. Halkias, K. Papandreou, and P. Kopelias. Freeway Incidents – US, UK and Attica Tollway: Characteristics, Available Capacity and Models, Transportation Research Record, No. 2047: 57-65, 2008.
- Yu, Alyx, Panos D. Prevedouros and Goro Sulijoadikusumo, Evaluation of AUTOSCOPE, SMARTSENSOR HD and TIRTL for Vehicle Classification, Transportation Research Record, No. 2160: 77-86, 2010.
- Nathanail, E.G., S. Zaharis, N. Vagiokas and P. D. Prevedouros, Risk Assessment for the Transportation of Hazardous Materials through Tunnels, Transportation Research Record, No. 2162: 98-106, 2010.
- Zhang, Lin and Panos D. Prevedouros. User Perceptions of Signalized Intersection Level of Service Using Fuzzy Logic, Transportmetrica, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 279-296, Taylor & Francis Journals, July 2011.
- Yu, Xin (Alyx), Goro Sulijoadikusumo and Panos Prevedouros. Analysis of Downstream Queues on Upstream Capacity Expansion of Urban Signalized Intersection, Journal of Transportation Systems Engineering and Information Technology, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 98-108, Elsevier 2012. (http://www.sciencedirect.com.eres.library.manoa.hawaii.edu/science/article /pii/S1570667211602067)
- Yu, Xin (Alyx) and Panos Prevedouros, Left Turn Prohibition and Partial Grade Separation for Signalized Intersections: Planning Level Assessment, Transportation Engineering Journal, American Society of Civil Engineers. Accepted Oct. 2012.
- Mitropoulos, Lambros and Panos D. Prevedouros, Sustainability Assessment for Transportation Vehicles and Projects, Paper 13-1402, accepted in Transportation Research Record, D.C., 2013
Selected Other Publications (2000-2013)
- C. S. Papacostas and P. D. Prevedouros. TRANSPORTATION ENGINEERING AND PLANNING, 3rd edition, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J., 2001, (690 pp.)
- Four-page exhibit, Table 7.1: Survey to Determine Sensor Data Requirements, in SENSOR TECHNOLOGIES AND DATA REQUIREMENTS FOR ITS APPLICATIONS, by Lawrence A. Klein, Artech House, 2001.
- Dehnert, Greg and Panos D. Prevedouros, Reducing Congestion with Low Clearance Underpasses at Urban Intersections: Investigation and Case Study. ITE Journal, Vol. 74, No. 3: 36-47, March 2004. Received 2005 Institute of Transportation Engineers Van Wagoner Award.
- Federal Highway Administration, FREEWAY RAMP MANAGEMENT AND CONTROL HANDBOOK, Section 11.5 "Ramp Closure – Honolulu, Hawaii", U.S. DOT, Washington, D.C., 2005.
- Prevedouros, Panos D. and Martin Stone. Reversible Express Lanes. Yearbook of Science and Technology 2008. McGraw-Hill, pp. 288-291, 2008.
- Prevedouros, Panos D. and Alyx Yu. Integrated Process for Traffic Project Evaluation and Decision Making. Yearbook of Science and Technology 2013. McGraw-Hill, 2013.
Home | Admissions & Financial
Aid | Undergraduate
Study | Graduate
Study | Faculty & Staff | Research