Clark C.K. Liu
Professor Emeritus of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Office: Holmes 383
Phone: (808) 956-7658
Personal Homepage: click here
Areas of Specialty and Research Interest:
- Hydrology/hydraulics, Water resources engineering, Environmental fluid mechanics, Desalination and water purification, Deep ocean water utilization and open ocean mariculture
- Ph.D., Civil and Environmental Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca,
New York 1976
- M.S., Civil Engineering, University of Mississippi, Oxford, Mississippi
- B.S., Bioenvironmental Systems Engineering, National Taiwan University, 1966
- Registered Professional Engineer (PE), New York State. License # 49255,
- Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Professor, Professor and Department Chair, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 1980-present
- Program Director for Environmental Engineering, National Science Foundation (NSF), 2008-09
- Visiting Professor, National Taiwan University, 1987, 2002
- Adjunct Research Associate, East-West Center, Environment & Policy Institute, 1986-87.
- Visiting Professor, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 1984-85.
- Senior Hydraulic Engineer, Senior Sanitary Engineer, Senior Research Scientist, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, 1970-80.
- Civil Engineer, Hazlet & Erdal Consulting Engineers, Washington, DC 1969.
- CEE 270/CEE271: Applied Mechanics
- CEE330: Environmental Engineering
- CEE422: Environmental Fluid Mechanics
- CEE431: Water and Wastewater Engineering
- CEE432: Water and Wastewater Treatment Design
- CEE626: Surface Water Hydrology
- CEE627: Groundwater Hydrology
- CEE631: Water Quality Management
- CEE644: Water Quality Modeling
- Member, US Environmental Protection Agency National Workgroup on the
Verification of Water Quality Models (1979).
- Member, Governor's Task Force on Groundwater Contamination and Hawaii
Department of Agriculture’s study on the movement and persistence
of agricultural chemicals in soil (1983).
- Contributing author of the ASCE Manuals and Reports on Engineering Practice, No.40 "Groundwater Management, Third Edition" (1987).
- Member, North China Water Project (1987-88).
(Jointly sponsored by the East West Center, USA and the State Science
and Technology Commission, China)
- Technical Advisor, Taiwan Environmental Protection Administration
Workgroup on water Quality Assessment of Tansui River in Northern Taiwan
- Editorial Board, Journal of Toxicity Assessment, John Wiley & Sons
- Editorial Board, Journal of Environmental Sciences (1989 - present), Beijing (http://www.jesc.ac.cn)
- Co-Chair, US-Japan Cooperative Workshop in Ocean Engineering Research,
Kona, Hawaii (1990). (Co-sponsored by the National Science Foundation, USA and the Science
and Technology Agency, Japan)
- Member of the Organizing Committee and Proceedings Editor, American
Society of Civil Engineers ASCE Symposium on Ground water in the Pacific
Rim Countries, Honolulu (1991)
- Member, Graduate Council, University of Hawaii at Manoa, (1991-94)
- Member, State of Hawaii Board of Certification of Operating Personnel in Wastewater Treatment Facilities, State of Hawaii (1992-95).
- Reviewer, ASCE Manuals of Practice, No. 28 "Hydrology Handbook, Second Edition" (1996).
- International Editor, Journal of Chinese Institute of Environmental
Engineering (1993 - 2006), Taipei
- President, Association of Chinese Scholars in Hawaii (1993-94)
- Technical Advisor, Industrial Technology Research Institute in Taiwan
- Co-Chair, US-Taiwan Joint Workshop on Deep Ocean Water and Ocean
Resources Development (1995) (Co-sponsored by National Science Foundation,
USA and National Science Council, ROC)
- Co-author, ASCE Book of “Environmental Fluid Mechanics” (2002)
- Member, Council on Program Reviews (CORP), University of Hawaii at Manoa (2000-03)
- Co-chair, AWRA Specialty Conference, Honolulu, Hawaii, American Water
Resources Association (2005)
Contributing Author, McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology, (2005)
- Secretary, National Council of the Chinese Institute of Engineers
in USA (http://www.cieusa.org) (2006-07)
- President, Overseas Chinese Environmental Engineering and Science Association
- Editorial Board, International Journal of Environmental Engineering (www.interscience.com) (2009-present)
Awards and Honors:
- Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers (1999)
- Engineer of Distinction Award, University of Mississippi Alumni Association
- Liu, C.C.K. (P.I.) 'Determination of the Relationship between Biodiversity and the Trophic Status of Wahiawā Reservoir ', funded by US Geological Survey (USGS), March 1, 2010 – February 28, 2011.
- Liu, C.C.K. (P.I.) ‘Survey and Modeling Analysis of MS4 Highway
Storm Runoff on Oahu, Hawaii’ funded by Hawaii Department of
Transportation, September 1, 2008 – August 31, 2010.
- Liu, C.C.K. (P.I.) ‘Modeling and Drainage Design for the Kaloi
Gulch Watershed in Southern Oahu’ funded by R.M. Towill Corporation,
May 15, 2007- December 31, 2008.
- Liu, C.C.K. (P.I.) 'Hydrologic Analysis of Hawaii Watersheds for
Flood Control and Environmental Conservation', funded by US Geological
Survey (USGS), March 1, 2006 – February 28, 2008.
- Liu, C.C.K. (P.I.) 'Analytical Groundwater Flow and Transport Modeling
for the Estimation of Sustainable Yield of Pearl Harbor Aquifer', funded
by Hawaii Commission on Water Resources, May 1, 2004 - December 31,
- Liu, C.C.K. (P.I.) 'Wind-powered Reverse Osmosis Water Desalination
for Pacific Islands and Remote Coastal Communities', funded by US Bureau
of Reclamation (USBR), October 1, 2004 - September 30, 2005.
- Liu, C.C.K. (P.I.) 'Wind-powered Reverse Osmosis Desalination:
System Control and Fouling Prevention', funded by US National Science
Foundation (NSF), March 1, 2001 – February 28, 2003.
- Liu, C.C.K. (P.I.) 'Removal of Nitrogenous Aquaculture Wastes
By a Wind-Powered Reverse Osmosis System', funded by US Geological
Survey (USGS), March 1, 2001 – February 28, 2002.
- Liu, C.C.K. (P.I.) 'Wind-powered Reverse Osmosis Desalination,
System Design, Operation and Feedback Control', funded by Industrial
Technology Research Institute (ITRI), Taiwan, January 1998 – December
- Liu, C.C.K. (P.I.) 'Artificial Upwelling and Mixing, Phase II',
funded by National Science Foundation (NSF), January 1996 – February
- Takahashi, K.T. (P.I.) and Liu, C.C.K. (Co-P.I.) 'U.S. – Taiwan
Joint Seminar: Deep Ocean Water and Ocean Resources Development', funded
by National Science Foundation (NSF), July 1994 – June 1997.
- Liu, C.C.K. (P.I.) 'Development and Testing of a Wave-Driven
Artificial Upwelling Device', funded by National Science Foundation
(NSF), January 1992 – December 1995.
- Liu, C.C.K. (P.I.) ' Numerical Simulation of Synoptic/Mesoscale
Ocean Currents and Eddies', funded by the International Center for
High Technology Research (PICHTR), October 1988 – December 1989.
C.C.K. (P.I.) and Loague, K. (Co-P.I.) 'Compatibility of Physically
Based and Linear System Solute Transport Modeling Approaches and Their
Conjunctive Application', funded by U.S. Geological Survey (USGS),
August 1987 – August
- Green, R.E. (P.I.) and Liu, C.C.K. (Co-P.I.) 'Pesticide Mobility
Assessment Methodology for Agricultural Soils Contributing Recharge
to Groundwater in Hawaii', funded by U.S. Environmental Protection
Agency (EPA), June 1984 – July 1987.
- Liu, C.C.K. (P.I.) 'Modeling Analysis of Pesticide Transport
in Soils of Kunia Area in Central Oahu, Hawaii', funded by U.S. Environmental
Protection Agency (EPA), August 1981 – August 1983.
Refereed Journal Papers
- Liu, C.C.K., Xia, W. and Park, J.W., (2006). A Wind-driven Reverse
Osmosis System for Wastewater Reuse and Nutrient Recovery, Desalination,
Vol. 202, pp.24-30.
- Liu, C.C.K., Ice, C., Levy, J.K., and Moncur, J. (2005). Institution,
Policies, and Technologies for sustainable Watershed Management in
the Asia-Pacific, Water Resources Impact, American Water Resources
Association, Vol.7, No.2, pp.6-9.
- Qin, G., Liu, C.C.K., Richman, N.H. and Moncur, J.E.T. (2005). Aquaculture
Wastewater Treatment and Reuse by Wind-driven Reverse Osmosis Membrane
Technology: A Pilot Study on Coconut Island, Hawaii, Aquaculture
Engineering, Vol. 32, pp.365-378.
- Liu, C.C.K., Sou, I.M., and Lin, H. (2003). Artificial upwelling and
near-field mixing of a nutrient-rich deep-ocean water plume, Marine
Environmental Engineering, Vol.7, No.1, pp.1-14.
- Park, S. and Liu, C.C.K. (2003). Experiment and Simulation of a Wind-driven
Reverse Osmosis Desalination System, Water Engineering Research, Vol.4,
No.1, pp. 1-17.
- Liu, C.C.K., Park, J.W., Migita, R. and Qing, G. (2002). Prototype
Experiments of a Wind-Driven Reverse Osmosis Desalination System, Desalination,
Vol. 150, No. 3, pp. 277-287.
- Cho, H., Park, J. and Liu, C.C.K. (2002). Effects of Molecular Structures
on the Solubility Enhancement of Hydrophobic Organic Compounds by Environmental
Amphiphiles, Environmental Toxicology & Chemistry, Vol. 21, No.
5, pp. 999-1003.
- Liu, C.C.K. Migita, R. and Park, J.W. (2002). System Development
and Testing of Wind-powered Reverse Osmosis Desalination for Remote
Pacific Islands, Water Science & Technology, Vol.2, No. 2, pp.
- Cheng, A.H., Liu, C.C.K., Shen, H., Teng, M., and Wang, H.W. (2002).
Fluid mechanics – An essential part of an environmental Engineering
curriculum, ASCE Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering
Education and Practice, American Society of Civil Engineers), Vol. 128, No.4,
- Liu, C.C.K. Dai, J., Lin., H. and Guo, F. (1999). Hydrodynamic Performance
of Wave-Driven Artificial Upwelling, ASCE Journal of Engineering
Mechanics, American Society of Civil Engineers, Vol.125, No.7, pp.728-932.
Shen, H., Cheng, A.H., Wang, H.W., Teng, M. and Liu, C.C.K. (2002).
Environmental Fluid mechanics – Theories and Application, ASCE
Book, American Society of Civil Engineers.
Book Chapters and Contributions
- Liu, C.C.K. (2009). Wind-powered reverse osmosis water desalination for Pacific Islands and Remote Coastal Communities, Report No. 128 of the Desalination and Water Purification Research and Development Program, US Department of Interior Bureau of Reclamation (USBR), Denver, Colorado (http://www.usbr.gov/pmts/water/publications/reportpdfs/report128.pdf).
- Liu, C.C.K., 2007. RAM2 Modeling and the Determination of Sustainable Yield of Hawaii Basal Aquifer, Project Report PR-2008-06, Water Resources Research Center, University of Hawaii, 81p. (http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/cwrm/publishedreports/PR200806.pdf)
- Liu, C.C.K., (2005). Artificial Upwelling of Nutrient-rich Deep Ocean
Water for Open Ocean Mariculture, in: Recent Advances in Marine
Science and Technology, PACON International, Honolulu, Hawaii, pp. 291-300.
- Liu, C.C.K. (2004). Calibrating Steady-state Water Quality Models
with Field Data, Chapter 5-1, In: Environmental Hydraulics and
Sustainable Water Management, Lee and Lam (ed.), Taylor & Francis Group, London,
- Liu, C.C.K., and Neill, J.J. (2002). Chapter 12. Linear Systems Approach
to River Water Quality Analysis, In: Environmental Fluid Mechanics – Theories
and Application, Shen et al., (ed.), ASCE Book, American Society of
Civil Engineers, pp.421-457.
- Liu, C.C.K. and Park, J.W. (2002). Water Desalination, McGraw-Hill
Encyclopedia of Science & Technology, Ninth Edition, Volume 22,
the McGraw-Hill, New York, pp.404-406.
- Liu, C.C.K. (2002). Wastewater Reuse, In: The McGraw-Hill 2002
Yearbook of Science & Technology, the McGraw-Hill, New York, pp.406-408.
Complete list of Clark Liu's publications
Home | Admissions & Financial
Aid | Undergraduate
Study | Graduate
Study | Faculty & Staff | Research