Associate Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Office: Holmes Hall 341
Phone: (808) 956-3348
Areas of Specialty and Research Interest:
- Transportation Engineering: Transportation Infrastructure Management Systems,
Pavement Engineering, Deterioration Modeling, Transportation Systems Analysis,
Transportation Systems Analysis, Applied Statistics, Traffic Engineering.
- Ph.D., Transportation Engineering, University of California at Berkeley,
- M.S., Transportation Engineering, University of Calgary, Calgary,
Alberta, Canada, 1993.
- B.S., Civil Engineering, National University of San Juan, Argentina,
- Professor, National University of San Juan, Argentina.
- Research Engineer at the Turner-Fairbanks Highway Research Center,
FHWA, McLean, VA. (Participant in the Loaned Staff Program of the Pan
American Institute of Highways).
- Assistant Professor, National University of San Juan, Argentina
- Member of the Institute of Transportation Engineers.
- Reviewer and member of the editorial board of the ASCE Journal of
Awards and Honors:
- Recipient of a special mention for the paper “Estimación
de Modelos de Ahuellamiento Combinando Datos Experimentales de Distintas Fuentes”,
in the XIII Congreso Argentino de Vialidad y Tránsito, Buenos Aires,
Oct. 1-5, 2001.
- Recipient of the 2000 Milton Pikarsky Memorial Award for best Ph.D.
Dissertation. This award is given annually by the Council of University
Transportation Centers for best Master and Ph.D. dissertations in the
U.S. in Transportation Science and Technology.
- Designated as "Gold Medal" and "Honor Diploma" of
the National University of San Juan, College of Engineering, San Juan,
Research Grant Activities:
- Harwood, D.W. (P.I.), A.D. May, I.B. Anderson, L. Leiman, and
A.R. Archilla. “Capacity and Quality of Service of Two-Lane
Final Report, NCHRP Project 3-55(3). Prepared for the National Cooperative
Highway Research Program, Transportation Research Board, National
Research Council. November, 1999.
- Archilla, A.R. (P.I.) “Test and evaluation of the TWOPAS
rural traffic simulation model”, prepared for the Pan-American
Institute of Highways, Turner-Fairbank Highway Research Center. January
1996 (Project funded by FHWA).
- Fernández de Cieza, A.O. (P.I.), A.R. Archilla, C.G, Gonzalez
and C. Porres. “Velocidades Medias de Los Vehículos
del Parque Automotor Argentino”, Universidad Nacional de San
Juan, 1994. Funded by the National University of San Juan
- Archilla, A.R. and S. Madanat (2001). “A Statistical Model of Pavement
Rutting in Asphalt Concrete Mixes”, Accepted for Publication at
the Transportation Research Record, National Research Council, Washington,
- Archilla, A.R. and S. Madanat (2001). “Estimation of Highway
Rutting Models by Combining Experimental Data from Different Sources”,
Journal of Transportation Engineering, American Society of Civil Engineers,
Sep./Oct. 2001, Vol. 127, No. 5, pp 379-389.
- Archilla, A.R. and S. Madanat (2000). “Development of a Pavement
Rutting Model from Experimental Data”, Journal of Transportation
Engineering, American Society of Civil Engineers, July/August 2000,
Vol. 126, No. 4, pp 291-299.
- Archilla, A.R. (1999). Discussion of the Paper: “Method for
Estimating Transition Probability in Bridge Deterioration Models”,
by DeStafano/Grivas, ASCE’s Journal of Infrastructure Systems,
June 1999, Vol. 5, No. 2, p. 87-88.
- Fernandez de Cieza, A. O., J.C. Ortiz Andino, A.R. Archilla,
A.M. Gomez, C. Gonzalez, S. Mengual, y J. Morrall (1999), “Non-motorized
Traffic Accidents in San Juan, Argentina”, Transportation Research
Record 1965, National Research Council, Washington, D.C., pp. 19-22.
- Archilla, A.R. and A. O. Fernández de Cieza (1996). “Truck
Performance of Argentinean Highways”, Transportation Research
Record 1555, pp. 114-123.
- Archilla, A.R. and J.F. Morrall (1996). “Traffic Characteristics
on two-lane highway downgrades”, Transportation Research Part
A: Policy and Practice, Vol 30 A, No. 2, pp. 119-133.
- Archilla, A.R. and J.F. Morrall (1995). “ Traffic simulation
on two-lane highway downgrades”, Road & Transport Research,
Vol. 4, No. 3, ARRB Transport Research Ltd, pp. 28-39
Refereed Conference Proceedings
- McFadden, John., Warren, Davey., Elefteriadou, Lily., Archilla,
Implication of Curve Flattening on Geometric Design of Highways". 1999
ITE International Conference on "Enhancing Transportation Safety in the
21st Century", Kissimmee, Florida, March 28-31 1999.
- Archilla, A. R. and Morrall J. F., (1994). "Traffic Characteristics
on Two-lane Highway Downgrades", 2nd International Symposium on
Highway Capacity, Sydney, Australia
Home | Admissions & Financial
Aid | Undergraduate
Study | Graduate
Study | Faculty & Staff | Research