Clark C.K. Liu
Professor Emeritus of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Office: Holmes 383
Phone: (808) 956-7658
Areas of Specialty and Research Interest
Hydrology/hydraulics, Water resources engineering, Environmental fluid mechanics, Desalination and water purification, Deep ocean water utilization and open ocean mariculture
- Ph.D., Civil and Environmental Engineering, Cornell University 1976
- M.S., Civil Engineering, University of Mississippi 1969
- B.S., Bioenvironmental Systems Engineering, National Taiwan University1966
- Registered Professional Engineer (PE), New York State
- Professor Emeritus, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 2012-present
- Chair Professor, Sichuan University, Chengdu, China 2013-15
- Visiting Professor, School of Environment and Energy, Peking University 2013-15
- Assistant Professor/Associate Professor/ Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 1980-present
- Program Director for Environmental Engineering, National Science Foundation (NSF), 2008-09
- Visiting Professor, National Taiwan University, 1987, 2002
- Adjunct Research Associate, East-West Center, Environment & Policy Institute, 1986-87.
- Associate Professor, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 1984-85.
- Senior Engineer// Senior Research Scientist, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, 1970-80.
- Member, US Environmental Protection Agency National Workgroup on the Verification of Water Quality Models (1979).
- Member, Governor’s Task Force on Groundwater Contamination and Hawaii Department of Agriculture’s study on the movement and persistence of agricultural chemicals in soil (1983).
- Member, North China Water Project (1987-88).
(Jointly sponsored by the East West Center, USA and the State Science and Technology Commission, China)
- Technical Advisor, Taiwan Environmental Protection Administration Workgroup on water Quality Assessment of Tansui River in Northern Taiwan (1988-89).
- Co-Chair (with Prof. M. Takahashi of Tokyo University), US-Japan Cooperative Workshop in Ocean Engineering Research-Technical Session on Artificial Upwelling, Kona, Hawaii (1990).
- Member, Graduate Council, University of Hawaii at Manoa, (1991-94)
- Member, State of Hawaii Board of Certification of Operating Personnel in Wastewater Treatment Facilities, State of Hawaii (1992-95).
- Technical Advisor, Industrial Technology Research Institute (ITRI),Hsin-Chu, Taiwan (1994-95).
- Co-Chair (with Prof. N. Liang of National Taiwan University), US-Taiwan Joint Workshop on Deep Ocean Water and Ocean Resources Development (1995)
- Member, Council on Program Reviews (CORP), University of Hawaii at Manoa (2000-03)
- Principal Investigator (with Prof. J. Park of Hangyang University), US-Korea cooperative Research on Wind-Powered Water Desalination (2003-05)
- Keynote Speaker, 17th Mainland-Taiwan Environmental Protection Conference, Kunming, China (December 2015)
- Member, Program Assessment Committee of Bioenvironmental Systems Engineering, National Taiwan University (2015-16)
- Member of the Editorial Board, Journal of Environmental Sciences (2015-17)
Awards and Honors
- Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers (1999)
- Engineer of Distinction Award, University of Mississippi (2009)
- Liu, C.C.K. (P.I.) ‘Determination of the Relationship between Biodiversity and the Trophic Status of Wahiawā Reservoir ‘, funded by US Geological Survey (USGS), March 1, 2010 – February 28, 2011.
- Liu, C.C.K. (P.I.) ‘Survey and Modeling Analysis of MS4 Highway Storm Runoff on Oahu, Hawaii’ funded by Hawaii Department of Transportation, September 1, 2008 – August 31, 2010.
- Liu, C.C.K. (P.I.) ‘Modeling and Drainage Design for the Kaloi Gulch Watershed in Southern Oahu’ funded by R.M. Towill Corporation, May 15, 2007- December 31, 2008.
- Liu, C.C.K. (P.I.) ‘Hydrologic Analysis of Hawaii Watersheds for Flood Control and Environmental Conservation’, funded by US Geological Survey (USGS), March 1, 2006 – February 28, 2008.
- Liu, C.C.K. (P.I.) ‘Analytical Groundwater Flow and Transport Modeling for the Estimation of Sustainable Yield of Pearl Harbor Aquifer’, funded by Hawaii Commission on Water Resources, May 1, 2004 – December 31, 2005.
- Liu, C.C.K. (P.I.) ‘Wind-powered Reverse Osmosis Water Desalination for Pacific Islands and Remote Coastal Communities’, funded by US Bureau of Reclamation (USBR), October 1, 2004 – September 30, 2005.
- Liu, C.C.K. (P.I.) ‘Artificial Upwelling and Mixing, Phase II’, funded by National Science Foundation (NSF), January 1996 – February 2001.
- Takahashi, K.T. (P.I.) and Liu, C.C.K. (Co-P.I.) ‘U.S. – Taiwan Joint Seminar: Deep Ocean Water and Ocean Resources Development’, funded by National Science Foundation (NSF), July 1994 – June 1997.
- Liu, C.C.K. (P.I.) ‘Development and Testing of a Wave-Driven Artificial Upwelling Device’, funded by National Science Foundation (NSF), January 1992 – December 1995.
- Liu, C.C.K. (P.I.) and Loague, K. (Co-P.I.) ‘Compatibility of Physically Based and Linear System Solute Transport Modeling Approaches and Their Conjunctive Application’, funded by U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), August 1987 – August 1990.
- Green, R.E. (P.I.) and Liu, C.C.K. (Co-P.I.) ‘Pesticide Mobility Assessment Methodology for Agricultural Soils Contributing Recharge to Groundwater in Hawaii’, funded by U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), June 1984 – July 1987.
- Liu, C.C.K. (P.I.) ‘Modeling Analysis of Pesticide Transport in Soils of Kunia Area in Central Oahu, Hawaii’, funded by U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), August 1981 – August 1983.
Prof. Liu is the author or coauthor of more than 100 scientific publications. The following is a partial list of refereed journal articles.
- Fan, W., Pan, Y., Liu, C.C.K., Wiltshire, J.C., Chen, C.A., and Chen, Y. (2015). Hydrodynamic design of deep ocean water discharge for the creation of a nutrient-rich plume in the South China Sea, Ocean Engineering, Vol. 108, pp. 356-368.
- Liu, C.C.K. (2013). Renewable-Energy-Driven reverse osmosis system for water desalination and aquaculture production, Integrative Agriculture, 12, No.8, pp. 1357-1362.
- Zhang, Q.T., Xia Q., Liu, C.C.K. and Shu, G. (2013). Technologies for Efficient Use of Irrigation Water and Energy in China, Integrative Agriculture, 12, No.8, pp.1363-1370.
- Liu, C.C.K. and Dai, J. (2012). Seawater intrusion and sustainable yield of basal aquifers, Journal of the American Association of Water Resources (AWRA), Vol.48, No.5, pp.861-870.
- Liu, C.C.K., Xia, W. and Park, J.W., (2006). A Wind-driven Reverse Osmosis System for Wastewater Reuse and Nutrient Recovery, Desalination, Vol. 202, pp.24-30.
- Liu, C.C.K., Ice, C., Levy, J.K., and Moncur, J. (2005). Institution, Policies, and Technologies for sustainable Watershed Management in the Asia-Pacific, Water Resources Impact,American Water Resources Association, Vol.7, No.2, pp.6-9.
- Qin, G., Liu, C.C.K., Richman, N.H. and Moncur, J.E.T. (2005). Aquaculture Wastewater Treatment and Reuse by Wind-driven Reverse Osmosis Membrane Technology: A Pilot Study on Coconut Island, Hawaii, Aquaculture Engineering, 32, pp.365-378.
- Liu, C.C.K., Sou, I.M., and Lin, H. (2003). Artificial upwelling and near-field mixing of a nutrient-rich deep-ocean water plume, Marine Environmental Engineering,7, No.1, pp.1-14.
- Park, S. and Liu, C.C.K. (2003). Experiment and Simulation of a Wind-driven Reverse Osmosis Desalination System, Water Engineering Research,4, No.1, pp. 1-17.
- Liu, C.C.K., Park, J.W., Migita, R. and Qing, G. (2002). Prototype Experiments of a Wind-Driven Reverse Osmosis Desalination System, Desalination, Vol. 150, No. 3, pp. 277-287.
- Cho, H., Park, J. and Liu, C.C.K. (2002). Effects of Molecular Structures on the Solubility Enhancement of Hydrophobic Organic Compounds by Environmental Amphiphiles, Environmental Toxicology & Chemistry, 21, No. 5, pp. 999-1003.
- Liu, C.C.K. Migita, R. and Park, J.W. (2002). System Development and Testing of Wind-powered Reverse Osmosis Desalination for Remote Pacific Islands, Water Science & Technology,2, No. 2, pp. 123-129.
- Cheng, A.H., Liu, C.C.K., Shen, H., Teng, M., and Wang, H.W. (2002). Fluid mechanics – An essential part of an environmental Engineering curriculum, ASCE Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice,American Society of Civil Engineers), Vol. 128, No.4, pp. 201-205.
- Liu, C.C.K. Dai, J., Lin., H. and Guo, F. (1999). Hydrodynamic Performance of Wave-Driven Artificial Upwelling, ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics,American Society of Civil Engineers, Vol.125, No.7, pp.728-932.