Associate Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Office: Holmes Hall 338
Phone: (808) 956-2378
Areas of Specialty and Research Interests
- Large-Scale Transportation Systems Modeling and Simulation
- Traffic Control and Operations
- Traffic Detection and Sensor Data Analysis
- Cyber-Transportation Systems and Security
- Congestion Pricing and Freeway Operations
- Transportation Safety and Security
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, University of Washington, Seattle, 2008.
- M.S., Systems Engineering, Tsinghua University, China, 2003.
- B.S., Control Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology, China, 2000.
- Registered Professional Engineer (PE) in Civil Engineering: No. 105223, State of Texas
- Associate Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Hawaii (2018-present)
- Assistant Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Hawaii (2016-2018)
- Assistant Professor of Civil Engineering, University of New Mexico (2011-2016).
- Research Associate in the Department of Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering, University of Texas at Austin (2008-2011)
Courses Taught at UH (in the last five years)
- CEE 270: Applied Mechanics I (S’20)
- CEE 361: Fundamentals of Transportation (F’16, F’17, F’18, F’19)
- CEE 462: Traffic Engineering (S’17, S’18)
- CEE 696: Transportation Data Management and Analysis (F’17, S’19, S’20)
- Guest Editor, IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Magazine.
- Guest Editor, Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies.
- Paper Review Subcommittee Chair, Transportation Research Board (TRB) Committee on Information Systems and Technology.
- Member, Transportation Research Board (TRB) Committee on Information Systems and Technology.
- Conference Program Co-chair, the First Annual IEEE International Smart City Conference, Guadalajara, Mexico, 2015.
- Panel Member, National Collaborative Highway Research Program (NCHRP) Project 08-100, Methods for Analyzing Environmental Justice Issues Related to Tolling Mechanisms.
- Advisory Committee Member, the 50th Paving and Transportation Conference, Albuquerque, New Mexico, 2014.
- Panel Member, National Collaborative Highway Research Program (NCHRP) Project 03-107, Guidance on Work Zone Capacity Estimation and Simulation.
- Associated Editor, the 13th International IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems. Madeira Island, Portugal. Sep. 2010.
- Area Editor, the International Conference of Chinese Transportation Professionals, Beijing, China. Aug. 2010.
- Conference Session Chair, the 13th COTA International Conference of Transportation Professionals, Shenzhen University, Shenzhen, China. Aug. 2013.
Awards and Honors
- The 2009 PTV Vision Transportation System Simulation Scientific Award, PTV Vision, Germany. 2009
- Shining STAR Award, The Smart Transportation Application and Research Laboratory, the TransNow (University Transportation Center, Region X), University of Washington. 2008
Recent Research Grant Participation and Reports
- Susan Bogus Halter, Guohui Zhang, Vanessa Valentin (Jan. 2012–Dec. 2012) State-wide Pavement Infrastructure Condition Evaluation. New Mexico Department of Transportation, $313,762 with Zhang’s portion of $104,587. Co-Principal Investigator.
- Guohui Zhang, (May 2012–Sep. 2012) New Mexico Crash Record Database Development and Data Quality Control. UNM Bureau of Business and Economic Research, $11,724. Principal Investigator.
- Guohui Zhang, (May 2013–Sep. 2014) State-wide Traffic Microscopic Simulation Model Development and Training using CORSIM. New Mexico Department of Transportation, $37,409. Principal Investigator.
- Guohui Zhang, (Aug. 2014–Aug. 2016) Safety Performance Enhancement Analysis of Rumble Stripes with Elements: A Case Study on Rural Highway US 285 in New Mexico. The Safety and Operations of Large-Area Rural/Urban Intermodal Systems (SOLARIS) Institute, Tier 1 University Transportation Center and University of New Mexico, $148,000. Principal Investigator.
- Guohui Zhang, (Jul. 2014–Jun. 2016) Crash Severity Formulation and Analysis under Extreme Weather Conditions. The Southern Plains Transportation Center and New Mexico Department of Transportation, $200,000. Principal Investigator.
- Guohui Zhang, (Aug. 2014–Sep. 2016) State-wide Traffic On-call Research Service. New Mexico Department of Transportation, $124,000. Principal Investigator.
- Guohui Zhang and Adelamar Alcantara (Feb. 2015–Jan. 2016), Pedestrian and Bicycle-Involved Crash Analysis and Safety Performance Enhancement at High-Traffic Intersections. Albuquerque City Council and City of Albuquerque. $65,000 with Zhang’s portion of $40,000. Principal Investigator.
- Guohui Zhang, (Oct. 2015– Oct. 2017) Investigate Traffic Operation Efficiency and Safety Performance of Autonomous Vehicle-enabled Intersection Control Strategies. The Safety and Operations of Large-Area Rural/Urban Intermodal Systems (SOLARIS) Institute, Tier 1 University Transportation Center and University of New Mexico, $220,000. Principal Investigator.
Selected Journal Papers
- Cong Chen, Guohui Zhang, Jinfu Yang, John C. Milton, and Adélamar “Dely” Alcántara. An Explanatory Analysis of Driver Injury Severity in Rear-end Crashes Using a Decision Table/Naïve Bayes Hybrid Classifier. Accident Analysis and Prevention. Vol. 90. 2016. pp. 95-107.
- Cong Chen, Guohui Zhang, Hua Wang, Jinfu Yang, Peter J Jin, and C Michael Walton. Bayesian Network-based Formulation and Analysis for Toll Road Utilization Supported by Traffic Information Provision. Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies. Vol. 60, 2015. pp. 339–359.
- Cong Chen, Guohui Zhang, Zong Tian, Susan Bogus Halter and Yin Yang. Hierarchical Bayesian Random Intercept Model-based Cross-level Interaction Decomposition for Truck Driver Injury Severity Investigations. Accident Analysis and Prevention. Vol. 85, 2015. pp. 186-198.
- Su Zhang, Susan M. Bogus, Guohui Zhang, Cong Chen, Vanessa Valentin, Lippitt C.D., and Neville P.R.H. Extracting Pavement Surface Distress Conditions Based on High Spatial Resolution Multispectral Digital Aerial Photography. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing Vol. 81, No. 9. 2015. pp. 709-720.
- Cong Chen, Guohui Zhang, Rafiqul Tarefder, Jianming Ma, Heng Wei, and Hongzhi Guan. A Multinomial Logit Model-Bayesian Network Hybrid Approach for Driver Injury Severity Analyses in Rear-end Crashes. Accident Analysis and Prevention. Vol. 80, 2015. pp. 76-88.
- Jinjun Tang, Guohui Zhang, Yinhai Wang, Hua Wang, and Fang Liu. A Hybrid Approach to Integrate Fuzzy C-means Based Imputation Method and Genetic Algorithm for Missing Traffic Volume Data Estimation. Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies. Vol. 51, 2015. pp. 29–40.
- Cong Chen, Su Zhang, Guohui Zhang, Susan M. Bogus, and Vanessa Valentin. Discovering Temporal and Spatial Patterns and Characteristics of Pavement Distress Condition Data on Major Corridors in New Mexico. Journal of Transport Geography. Volume 38, 2014. pp. 148–158.
- Qiong Wu, Feng Chen, Guohui Zhang, Cathy Liu, Hua Wang, and Susan M. Bogus. Mixed Logit Analysis of Differences in Single- and Multi-vehicle Crash Severity on Rural Two-lane Highways in New Mexico. Accident Analysis and Prevention. Vol. 72, 2014. pp. 105-115.
- Guohui Zhang, Xiaolei Ma, and Yinhai Wang. Self-Adaptive Dynamic Tolling Strategy for Enhanced High Occupancy Toll Lane Operations. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems. Vol. 15, No. 1, 2014. pp. 360-317.
- Guohui Zhang and Yinhai Wang. A Gaussian Kernel Based Approach for Modeling Vehicle Headway Distributions. Transportation Science. Vol. 48, No. 2, 2014. pp. 206-216.Selected
Refereed Conference Proceedings and Other Refereed Publications
- Sanabria, N., Kalhor, E., Valentin, V., Bogus, S., and Guohui Zhang. Computational GIS and Agent-Based Model Development for Routing Optimization to Facilitate Pavement Condition Data Collection. The ASCE International Workshop on Computing in Civil Engineering. Los Angeles, California. Jun. 2013.
- Kalhor, E., Valentin, V., Bogus, S., and Guohui Zhang. Sanabria, N. Application of an Ordered-Probit model in Decision Making for Infrastructure Asset Management: A Case Study of Pavement Condition Assessment. The CSCE 2013 General Conference. Montreal. Quebec. May 2013.
- Guohui Zhang. The Numerical Examinations of Traffic Accident Characteristics using the Analytical Statistical Methods. The 12th COTA International Conference of Transportation Professionals. Beijing. China. Aug. 2012.
- Md. Tanveer Hayat, Guohui Zhang, and C. Michael Walton. Queue Warning and Variable Speed Limit Systems for Traffic Operation Efficiency and Safety Improvements. The 18th World Congress on Intelligent Transport Systems. Orlando, Florida. Sep. 2011.
- Lily Aung, Guohui Zhang, and C. Michael Walton. Active Traffic Management for Facilitating Traffic Operations in Metropolitan Freeway Network: A Comprehensive Review and Comparative Analysis. The 18th World Congress on Intelligent Transport Systems. Orlando, Florida. Sep. 2011.
- Md. Tanveer Hayat, Guohui Zhang, and C. Michael Walton. Integrating Connected Vehicle and Active Traffic Management Strategy: State of the Art and the Practice. The 18th World Congress on Intelligent Transport Systems. Orlando, Florida. Sep. 2011.
- Xiaoyue Liu, Guohui Zhang, Yao-Jan Wu, and Yinhai Wang. Measuring the Quality of Service for High Occupancy Toll Lanes Operations. The 6th International Symposium on Highway Capacity and Quality of Service. Stockholm, Sweden. Jun. 2011 (Procedia – Social and Behavioral Sciences, Volume 16. 2011. pp. 15-25).
- Ricardo Jesus Aitken, Guohui Zhang, and C. Michael Walton. Investigate the Effectiveness of Graphic Route Information Panels through a Survey Study. The 1st Transportation and. Development Institute Congress. Chicago, Illinois. Mar. 2011.
- Guohui Zhang, Zhong Wang, Khali R. Persad, and C. Michael Walton. Enhanced Traffic Information Dissemination to Facilitate Toll Road Utilization: A Nested Logit Model of A Stated Preference Survey In Texas. The 90th Annual Meeting of Transportation Research Board. Washington, D.C., Jan. 2011.
- Yao-Jan Wu, Guohui Zhang, and Yinhai Wang. Link Journey Speed Estimation for Urban Arterial Performance Measurement using Advance Loop Detector Data under Congested Conditions. The 90th Annual Meeting of Transportation Research Board. Washington, D.C., Jan. 2011.