Areas of Specialty and Research Interest
Environmental microbiology and biotechnology, human pathogens in the environment, low-cost water treatment and water reuse, water infrastructure sustainability, and environmental antibiotic resistance
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 2004
- M.S., Environmental Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China 2000
- B.S., Environmental Engineering, Wuhan University of Technology, Wuhan, China 1997
- Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Hawaii at Manoa, August 2017-present
- Associate Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Hawaii at Manoa, August 2012-July 2017
- Assistant Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Hawaii at Manoa, August 2007-July 2012
- Post Doctoral Researcher, BioTechnology Institute, University of Minnesota, October 2004 – July 2007
Courses Taught at UH (in the last five years)
- CEE 330 Environmental Engineering (F’14, F’15, F’16, F’17)
- CEE 431 Water and Wastewater Engineering
- CEE 432 Water and Wastewater Treatment Design
- CEE 634 Biological Treatment
- CEE 635 Environmental Chemistry (S’14, S’16)
- CEE 636 Environmental Microbiology (S’13, S’15, S’17)
- CEE 691 Seminar in Civil and Environmental Engineering (S’14)
- Member, American Society of Microbiology (ASM)
- Member, International Society for Microbiology Ecology (ISME)
- Member, Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professor (AEESP)
Selected Publications in the past 5 years
- Eulyn Pagaling, Kun Yang, and Tao Yan* (2014). Pyrosequencing reveals correlations between extremely acidophilic bacterial communities with hydrogen sulphide concentrations, pH and inert polymer coatings at concrete sewer crown surfaces.Journal of Applied Microbiology.117 (1), 50-64.
- Lavane Kim, Eulyn Pagaling, Yi Y. Zuo, and Tao Yan* (2014). Impact of Substratum Surface on Microbial Community Structure and Treatment Performance in Biological Aerated Filters. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 80(1), 177-183.
- Kun Yang, Eulyn Pagaling, and Tao Yan*. (2014). Estimating the Prevalence of Potential Enteropathogenic Escherichia coli and Intimin Gene Diversity in a Human Community by Monitoring Sanitary Sewage. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 80(1) 119-127.
- Henglin Cui, Kun Yang, Eulyn Pagaling, and Tao Yan* (2013). Spatial and Temporal Variations of Enterococci Abundance and Its Relationship with Microbial Community in Hawai”i Beach Sand and Water. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 79(12), 3601-3609.
- Qian Zhang, and Tao Yan* (2012). Correlation of Intracellular Trehalose Concentration with Desiccation Resistance of Soil Escherichia coli Populations. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 78(20), 7407-7413.
- Jessica Shelton, Lavane Kim, Jiasong Fang, Chittaranjan Ray, and Tao Yan* (2011). Assessing the Severity of Rainfall Derived Infiltration and Inflow and Sewer Deterioration Based on the Flux Stability of Sewage Markers. Environmental Science and Technology. 45 (20), 8683″“8690
- Dustin K. Goto and Tao Yan* (2011). Genotypic Diversity of Escherichia coli in the Water and Soil of Tropical Watersheds in Hawaii. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 77 (12) 3988-3997
- Fan Feng, Dustin Goto, and Tao Yan*. (2010) Effects of autochthonous microbial community on the die-off of fecal indicators in tropical beach sand. FEMS Microbiology Ecology. 74 (1), 214-225