Associate Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Office: Holmes Hall 337
Phone: (808) 956-5060
Area of Specialty and Research Interest
Hydrodynamics, coastal and hydraulic engineering: water wave generation and propagation, coastal flooding due to storm surge and tsunamis, sediment transport, bridge scour.
- Ph.D., Engineering Science, California Institute of Technology, 1990
- M.S., Environmental Science and Engineering, California Institute of Technology, 1987
- B.E., Engineering Mechanics, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 1985
- Licensed Professional Engineer (PE), civil engineering, license #9788-C,
Hawaii, since 1999.
- Associate Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 1998 – present.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 1992 – 1998.
- Visiting Scholar, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, summer 1994.
- Postdoc, California Institute of Technology, 1990-1992.
- Consultant, Foundation for Cross-Connection Control and Hydraulic Research, California, 1990-1991.
Courses Taught (in the last five years)
- CEE270: Applied Mechanics I: Statics (S’13, F’14, F’15, S’17, F’17)
- CEE271: Applied Mechanics II: Dynamics
- CEE320: Fluid Mechanics Fundamentals (S’14, F’16)
- CEE330: Environmental Engineering
- CEE421: Engineering Hydraulics (S’13, S’15, S’16, S’17)
- CEE422: Environmental Fluid Mechanics
- CEE622: Fluid Mechanics (S’14)
- CEE630: Water Resources Systems Planning and Management – Part 5: Coastal Engineering and Management
- CEE691: Seminar in Civil and Environmental Engineering (F’14, F’15)
- Member, Scientific Committee, the 2012 ASCE Engineering Mechanics Institute Conference (ASCE EMI-2012).
- Member, Turbulence Technical Committee, Engineering Mechanics Institute, ASCE, 2006 to present.
- Chair, Fluids Technical Committee, Division of Engineering Mechanics, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), 2002-2004.
- Associate Editor, ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 2002-2004.
- Guest Editor, with K.H. Wang, R. Baddour, and M. Hajj, ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Special Issue: Recent Developments in Modeling of Linear and Nonlinear Water Waves, and Turbulent Flows. Vol.125, No.7, 1999.
- Special Editor, with K.H. Wang and H.C. Chen, ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Special Issue: Advanced Experimental Techniques in Environmental Fluid Mechanics. Vol.129, No.10, 2003.
- Member, Technical Program Committee, International Offshore and Polar Engineering (ISOPE) Annual Conference Series, 1998-2003.
- Member, Tsunami Technical Review Committee, State Civil Defense, State of Hawaii, 1999-2005.
- Member, Coastal Readiness Steering Committee, Department of Land and Natural Resources, State of Hawaii, 2007.
Awards and Honors
- Hi Chang Chai Excellence in Teaching Award, College of Engineering, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 2002, 2007, 2011 and 2017.
- Faculty Member, Chi Epsilon National Civil Engineering Honor Society, since 1995.
- ASCE Outstanding Faculty Award, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 1993.
- Charles Lee Powell Foundation Graduate Fellowship, California Institute of Technology, 1989-1990.
- Teng, M.H. (P.I.) “Numerical modeling and wave tank studies on wave energy conversion devices”, funded by DoE National Marine Renewable Energy Center (P.I. Rocheleau), the Hawaii Natural Energy Institute, 09/15/08 – 09/14/15.
- Ooi, P. (P.I.) and Teng, M.H (Co-P.I.) “Evaluation of the new SRICOS-EFA method for predicting scour in Hawaiian rivers”, Hawaii State Department of Transportation, 06/15/10 – 06/14/15
- Ray, C. (P.I.), Teng, M. (Co-P.I.) and Moravcik, P. (Co-P.I.) “Assessment and improvement of the campus drainage plan for UH Manoa”, UH Manoa Office of Facilities and Grounds, 08/15/10 – 08/14/12.
- Lynett, P. (P.I., Texas A&M University), Liu, P.L.-F. (Co-P.I.,
Cornell University), Mercado, A. and von Hillebrandt-Andrade (Co-P.I.,
University of Puerto Rico) and Teng, M.H. (Co-P.I.) “TSUNAMOS:
a validated, multi-scale tsunami model for hybrid numerical-experimental
simulation”, funded by National Science Foundation, 10/01/06-08/31/12.
- Teng, M.H. (P.I.) and Cheng, E.D.H. (Co-P.I.) “Enhanced hydraulics
design for highway bridges and culverts”, funded by Hawaii Department
of Transportation, 10/09/06 – 12/31/12.
- Choi, S.K. (P.I.), Teng, M.H. (Co-P.I.), Ray, C. (Co-P.I.) and Allen, J. (Co-P.I.) “Re-circulating flume for laboratory research on unmanned undersea vehicles (UUVs)”, Office of Naval Research (ONR), 05/12/08 – 05/31/11.
- Ray, C. (P.I.) and Teng, M.H. (Co-P.I.) “Infiltration of storm water from highway operations to reduce coastal pollution”, Hawaii State Department of Transportation, 11/01/07 – 10/30/11.
- Young, J. (P.I., Princeton University) and Teng, M.H. (Co-P.I.) Enhanced
sediment transport due to transient wave loadí®, funded by National
Science Foundation, 11/1/06-4/30/08.
- Choi, S.K. (P.I.) and Teng, M.H. (Co-P.I.) “3-D laser velocimetry
for enhanced laboratory research on undersea vehicles”, funded
by Office of Naval Research (ONR) under the Defense University Research
Instrumentation Program (DURIP), 02/18/05 – 02/17/07.
- Teng, M.H. (P.I.) and Cheng, E.D.H. (Co-P.I.) “Instrumentation
and monitoring of sand plugging and bridge scour at selected streams
in Hawaii”, funded by Hawaii Department of Transportation, 05/15/00 – 12/31/06.
- Teng, M.H. (P.I.) and Cheung, K.F. (Co-P.I.) “An improved prediction
model for tsunami run-up and coastal inundation in Hawaii: Phase I: model
development and verification”, funded by NOAA Sea Grant College
Program and NOAA Joint Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Research
- Teng, M.H. (P.I.) and Cheung, K.F. (Co-P.I.) “An improved prediction
model for tsunami run-up and coastal inundation in Hawaii: Phase II:
inundation risk analysis for Hawaii”, funded by NOAA Sea Grant
College Program and NOAA Joint Institute for Marine and Atmospheric
Research (JIMAR), 03/01/01-06/30/03.
- Cheung, K.F. (P.I.) and Teng, M.H. (Co-P.I.) “A real-time simulation
package for storm surge and wave run-up”, funded by NASA Office
of Earth Science, 09/01/99-12/31/01.
Journals and Books
- Zhou, H. and Teng, M.H. 2010 Extended fourth order depth-integrated
model for water waves and currents generated by submarine landslides.
ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Vol. 136, No. 4, pp. 506 -516.
- Zhou, H., Teng, M.H., Lin, P., Gica, E. and Feng, K. 2009 Predicting
run-up of breaking and non-breaking long waves by applying the Cornell
COMCOT model. Nonlinear Wave Dynamics (ed. P. Lynett), World Scientific
Publishing Co., pp. 147-163.
- Gica, E., Teng, M.H., Liu, P. L.-F., Titov, V. and Zhou, H. 2007
Sensitivity analysis of source parameters for earthquake-generated
distant tsunamis. ASCE Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal and Ocean
Engineering, Special Issue on Tsunami Engineering (ed. H.R. Riggs),
Vol. 133, No. 6, pp. 429-441.
- Lee, J. L., Teng, M.H. and Kang, I.N. 2005 Modeling of sediment transport
in a coral reef environment. Journal of Coastal Research, Special Issue
No. 42, pp. 303-308.
- Shi, A., Teng, M.H. and Sou, I. M. 2005 Propagation of solitary waves
in branching channels. ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Vol.
131, No.8, pp. 859-871.
- Chwang, A.T., Teng, M.H. and Valentine, D. (ed.) 2005 Advances in
engineering mechanics – reflections and outlooks. In honor of
Professor Theodore Y. Wu. Book published by World Scientific Publishing Co.
- Shen, H.H., Cheng, A.H.D., Wang, K.H., Teng, M.H. and Liu, C.C.K.
(ed.) 2002 Environmental fluid mechanics, theories and applications.
Book published by ASCE Press.
- Teng, M.H. 2000 Boussinesq solution for solitary waves in uniform
channels with sloping side walls. Journal of Mechanical Engineering
Sciences, Series C, Vol.214, pp.781-787.
- Shi, A., Teng, M.H. and Wu, T.Y. 1998 Propagation of solitary
waves through significantly curved shallow water channels. Journal
of Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 362, pp.157-176.
- Teng, M.H. and Wu, T.Y. 1997 Effects of channel cross-sectional
geometry on long wave generation and propagation. Physics of Fluids,
Vol. 9, No. 11, pp.3368-3377.
- Teng, M.H. and Wu, T.Y. 1997 Effect of disturbance length on
resonantly forced nonlinear shallow water waves. International Journal
of Offshore and Polar Engineering, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp.262-268.
- Teng, M.H. 1997 Solitary wave solution to Boussinesq equations.
Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal and Ocean Engineering, Vol. 123,
No. 3, pp.138-141.
- Teng, M.H. and Wu, T.Y. 1994 Evolution of long waves in variable
channels. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol.266, pp.303-317.
- Teng, M.H. and Wu, T.Y. 1992 Nonlinear water waves in channels
of arbitrary shape. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol.242, pp.211-233.
Gica*, E., Teng, M.H. and Liu, P. L.-F. 2004 Probabilistic risk analysis
of run-up and inundation in Hawaii due to distant tsunamis. AGU Fall
2004 Meeting in San Francisco, California, December 13-17, 2004.
* Received the American Geophysical Union (AGU) Outstanding Student
Paper Award in Ocean Sciences.