Gaur P. Johnson
Assistant Professor of Structural Engineering
Office: POST 203J
Phone: (808) 956-2377
Areas of Specialty and Research Interest
Experimental Testing of Structural Components & Materials; Reinforced Concrete Design; Reinforced Concrete Repair; Structural Steel Design; Masonry Design; Fiber Reinforced Polymers; Structural Health Assessment (SHA); Structural Health Monitoring (SHM); Multi-hazard Mitigation.
- Ph.D. in Civil Engineering at the University of Hawaii at Manoa, Fall 2006
- M.S. in Civil Engineering at the University of Hawaii at Manoa, Spring 2001
- B.S. in Civil Engineering from the University of Hawaii at Manoa, Spring 1999
- Registered Structural Engineer in State of Hawaii (Lic. PE-13245-S)
- American Concrete Institute, Member
- Committee 562 Evaluation, Repair, and Rehabilitation of Concrete Buildings (Voting Member)
- Committee 437 Strength Evaluation of Existing Concrete Structures
- Committee 445-C Shear & Torsion – Punching Shear (Voting Member)
- Committee 352 Joints and Connections in Monolithic Concrete Structures
- American Institute of Steel Construction, Educator Member
- Structural Engineers Association of Hawaii (SEAOH), Director and Building Code Committee Co-Chair
- Hawaii State Building Code Council, Chair and SEAOH Representative.
- American Society of Civil Engineers, Member
- Structural Engineering Institute, Hawaii Section Chair
- YMF PE Review Course Structural Instructor (2010–2016)
- The Masonry Society (TMS), Member
- CEE 270: Engineering Mechanics: Statics
- CEE 484: Structural Loads
- CEE 485: Reinforced Concrete Design
- CEE 486: Structural Steel Design
- CEE 685: Advanced Steel Design
- Arch 218: Introduction to Architectural Systems
- Bridge Deck Cracking and Delamination Investigation: Phase I, FHWA/Hawaii DOT, $145,675, Role: Principal Investigator
- 5-Year Monitoring of the Kealakaha Stream Bridge Seismic Instrumentation, FHWA/Hawaii DOT, $391,870, Role: Co-Principal Investigator
- Johnson, G. P. and Robertson, I. N. Masonry Breakout Strength Due to Through-Bolts Loaded in Double Shear, The Masonry Society Journal, Accepted for publication in 2016.
- Robertson, I., and Johnson, G., Cyclic Lateral Loading of Nonductile Slab-Column Connections, ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 103, No. 3, May/June 2006, pp. 356-364.
- Newtson, Craig M., Johnson, Gaur P., Enomoto, Brian T. Fundamental Frequency Testing of Reinforced Concrete Beams ASCE Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities, Vol. 20, No. 2, May 2006. pp. 196-200.
- Johnson, G., and Robertson, I. N., Repair of Slab-Column Connections Using Carbon Fiber Reinforced Polymer, ASCE Journal of Composites in Construction, September/October. 2004, pp. 376-383.
- Brandes, H. G., Robertson, I. N., and Johnson, G. P. Soil and Rock Properties in a Young Volcanic Deposit on the Island of Hawaii, ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, Vol. 137, No 6, June 2011, pp. 597-610.
Invited / Reader Interest Article
- Johnson, G. P. and Robertson, I.N. Lessons Learned: Hybrid Masonry Connections & Through-Bolts: Part 2, Structure Magazine, July 2016.
- Johnson, G. P. and Robertson, I.N. Lessons Learned: Hybrid Masonry Connections & Through-Bolts: Part 1, Structure Magazine, May 2016.
- Robertson, I.R. and Johnson, G.P., Learning Through Hands-On Reinforced Concrete Beam Experiments, Concrete International, American Concrete Institute, 37(7) pg 40-45 July 2015.
- Johnson, G.P. and I.N. Robertson, “Behavior of Headed Stud Connections to CMU Shear Walls,” Proceedings of the 12th North American Masonry Conference, University of Colorado, The Masonry Society, Denver, CO, USA. May 17-20, 2015.
- Aoki, J. M., Robertson, I. N., & Johnson, G. P. Steel-masonry Interface Strength and Behavior. 12th Canadian Masonry Symposium, Vancouver, BC, CA. June 2-5, 2013.
- Johnson, G. P., Robertson, I. N., Goodnight, S., and Ozaki-Train, R. Behavior of Energy Dissipating Connectors & Fuses, Proceedings of the 11th North American Masonry Conference, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA June 5-8, 2011.
- Robertson, Ian N., Johnson, Gaur P., and Sharma, Bhavna., Shear Retrofit of Concrete T-Beams Using CFRP, Proceedings of the 8th International Symposium on Fiber Reinforced Polymer Reinforcement for Concrete Structures, Patras, Greece, July 16-18, 2007.
- Robertson, I. N., Johnson, G. P., and Wang, S., Instrumentation Performance during Long-Term Bridge Monitoring, Report printed in Sensing Issues in Civil Structural Health Monitoring, Ed. Farhad Ansari. Dordrecht, Netherlands: Springer, 2005, pg 331-340.
- Robertson, Ian, Johnson, Gaur, and Aki, Kainoa, Concrete Bridge Instrumentation for Seismic and Long-term Monitoring, IABSE 2004 Symposium, Shanghai, China, September 2004.
- Robertson, I., Johnson, G., Non-Ductile Slab-column Connections Subjected to Cyclic Lateral Loading, Proceedings of the 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, BC, Aug. 2004.
- Johnson, Gaur P., and Robertson, Ian N., Retrofit of Slab-Column Connections using CFRP, Proceedings of the 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, BC, Aug. 2004.
- Robertson, I. N., Johnson, G., Aki, K., and Li, X., Concrete Bridge Instrumentation for Long-term and Seismic Monitoring, Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Structural Engineering, Mechanics and Computation, SEMC-2004, Cape Town, South Africa, July 2004.
- Robertson, Ian, and Johnson, Gaur, Repair and Retrofit of Slab-Column Connections using CFRP, Proceedings of the FIB 2003 Symposium on Concrete Structures in Seismic Regions, May 6-8 2003, Athens, Greece.
- Robertson, Ian N. and Johnson, Gaur, Repair of Slab-Column Connections using CFRP, Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Earthquake Resistant Engineering Structures, ERES 2001, Malaga, Spain, Sept. 2001
Selected Research Reports
- Ozaki-Train, R., Johnson, G., & Robertson, I. N. Hybrid Masonry Connector Development, Research Report UHM /CEE/11-04, December 2011.
- Goodnight, S., Johnson, G., and Robertson, I. Connector Development for Hybrid Masonry Seismic Structural Systems, Research Report UHM/CEE/11-03, May 2011.
- Powelson, N., Johnson, G.P., and Robertson, I.N., Seismic Instrumentation of the Kealakaha Bridge, Research Report UHM/CEE/10-06, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Nov. 2010.
- Johnson, D., Johnson, G.P. and Robertson, I.N., Quantifying Segregation in Self-consolidating Concrete through Image Analysis, Research Report UHM/CEE/10-04, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Dec. 2010.
- Aihara, C., Johnson, G.P. and Robertson, I.N., The Effects of Gradation on Self-Consolidating Concrete, Research Report UHM/CEE/08-01, University of Hawaii at Manoa, May 2008.
- Kleinmen, R., Johnson, G., and Robertson, I. Development of Breakaway Walls for Tsunami Loading, Research Report UHM/CEE/07-04, 2007.
- Johnson, Gaur P. and Robertson, Ian N., Structural Health Monitoring Systems for Civil And Architectural Structures: LVDT-Taut-Wire Baselines, Crack Monitoring Devices, & Strain Based Deflection Monitoring Algorithms, Research Report UHM/CEE/07-02, February 2007
- Johnson, Gaur, and Robertson, Ian N., Seismic Repair and Retrofit of Reinforced Concrete Slab-Column Connections using CFRP, Research Report UHM/CE/01-04, May 2001