Oceana Puananilei Francis
Assistant Professor – Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering/Sea Grant College Program
Phone: (808) 956-6555
Areas of Specialty and Research Interest
- Storm-generated ocean waves
- Meteorological and ocean processes on coastal infrastructure
- Sustainable coastal infrastructure, water, and wastewater systems affected by climate change and water shortage
- Planning, design and construction of coastal infrastructure
- Numerical modeling, field measurements, and statistical analysis of wind-generated waves
- Ph.D., Atmospheric Science, University of Alaska, Fairbanks, 2012
- M.Sc., Civil Engineering, University of Alaska, Anchorage, 2004
- B.Sc., Civil Engineering, University of Alaska, Anchorage, AK, 2002
- B.Sc., Physics & Astronomy, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, 1995
- Professional Engineer (Civil), License No. 15223, State of Hawaii
- Professional Engineer (Civil), License No. 11226, State of Alaska
- Aug 2012-present, Assistant Professor, College of Engineering, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering/School of Ocean and Earth Science Technology, Sea Grant College Program, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, HI
- Mar-Aug 2012, Post-Doctoral Fellow, International Arctic Research Center, University of Alaska Fairbanks, Fairbanks, AK
- 2005-2011, Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Atmospheric Sciences, University of Alaska Fairbanks, Fairbanks, AK
- May-Aug 2009, Engineer Intern, Alyeska Pipeline Service Company, Anchorage, AK
- 2003-2005, Civil Engineer, Tryck Nyman Hayes, Inc. Anchorage, AK
- 2002-2003, Graduate Research Fellow, School of Engineering, University of Alaska Anchorage, Anchorage, AK
- 2000-2002, Project Engineer, Village Safe Water, Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation, Anchorage, AK
Courses Taught (in the last five years)
- CEE320: Fluid Mechanics Fundamentals
- CEE622: Fluid Mechanics
Recent Professional Engineering Projects
- Pono Kai Seawall Repair, Kapa’a, Kaua’i, Hawai’i
Reviewed the feasibility of repairing the existing seawall.
- Kivalina Relocation Master Plan, Kivalina, Alaska
Assisted in the feasibility and design of moving an entire existing village to seven different selected sites.
- Landfill Study and Preliminary Design Project, Ivanof Bay, Alaska
Project Engineer to oversee the development of a Landfill Feasibility Study, sludge disposal alternatives, and Preliminary Design to delineate long-range strategies for Ivanof Bay’s solid waste disposal systems.
- Navigation Improvements, Nome, Alaska
Assisted with design drawings for sheet-pile wall replacements in support of a construction contract for navigation improvements at Nome, Alaska.
- On-Site Wastewater Septic System Project, Nikolaevsk, Alaska
Assisted in the design and construction of individual on-site septic systems for Nikolaevsk.
- Sanitation Facilities Feasibility Study, Kotlik, Alaska
Assisted in the analysis and design of extending water and sanitary sewer services across the Kotlik River to serve the residents on neighboring islands.
- St. Mary’s Regional Training Center, St. Mary’s, Alaska
Provided design and performance specification of a drainage system for the St. Mary’s Regional Training Center.
- Strategic Reconfiguration (SR) Electrification Tees Replacement, Pump Station 04, Trans-Alaska Pipeline System
Created new drawing package for an Issue for Construction (IFC) report that included new design and making modifications in AutoCAD to the Piping & Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs), Interconnecting Piping Plan, Isometrics, and Demolition drawings.
- Trans-Alaska Pipeline System Shutdown, June 20-21, 2009, Pump Station 03, Trans-Alaska Pipeline System
Involved in the replacement of four piping sections at Pump Station 03.
- Yakutat Employee Housing, Yakutat Ranger District, Tongass National Forest, Alaska
Designed six on-site wastewater secondary treatment systems. Designed three raised mound absorption bed systems to meet the needs of the six on-site septic systems and to create lowest impact on surroundings. Assisted in the design of a new water well system which included a submersible pump and well housing.
Awards and Honors
- 2010, Young Engineer of the Year Award, Alaska Society of Professional Engineers, Fairbanks Chapter
- 2010, Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Graduate Scholarship, Alfred P. Sloan Foundation
- 2006-2007, College of Natural Science & Mathematics Graduate Fellowship, University of Alaska Fairbanks
- 2006-2007, Minorities Striving and Pursuing Higher Degrees of Success (MSPHDS) in Earth System Science, National Aeronautics and Space Administration and National Science Foundation
- 2005, International Conference on Arctic Research Planning (ICARP) II Scholarship, Danish Polar Center
- 2005-2006, College of Natural Science & Mathematics Graduate Fellowship, University of Alaska Fairbanks
- 2002-2003, Alaska Experimental Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (EPSCoR) Infrastructure and Systems for Cold Regions (ISCR) Graduate Fellowship, National Science Foundation and the State of Alaska
- Aug 2012-present, Coastal sustainability, Water/wastewater systems, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Hawaii at Manoa
- Mar-Aug 2012, Data assimilation, International Arctic Research Center, Fairbanks, AK
- 2007-2011, Wind-wave spectra modeling, satellite, and field measurements, Department of Atmospheric Science, University of Alaska, Fairbanks
- 2005-2007, Statistical Wind analysis, Department of Atmospheric Science, University of Alaska, Fairbanks
- 2002-2004, Coastal Engineering, School of Engineering, University of Alaska, Anchorage
Recent Professional Activities
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Fairbanks, AK, President (2010-2011), Vice-President (2009-2010), Secretary/Treasurer (2008-2009)
- Native Hawaiian Engaged Scholarship Working Group, Strategic Planning Committee, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, HI (2012-present)
Recent Selected Publications
- Francis, O.P. and D.E. Atkinson (2012). Synoptic forcing of wave state in the southeast Chukchi Sea, Alaska, at an offshore location. Natural Hazards, Volume 62, Number 3, 1169-1189, DOI:10.1007/s11069-012-0142-4.
- Francis, O.P. and D.E. Atkinson (2012). Synoptic forcing of wave state in the southeast Chukchi Sea, Alaska, at nearshore locations. Natural Hazards, Volume 62, Number 3, 1273-1300, DOI: 10.1007/s11069-012-0148-y.
- Francis, O. P., G. G. Panteleev, and D. E. Atkinson (2011), Ocean wave conditions in the Chukchi Sea from satellite and in situ observations, Geophys. Res. Lett., 38, L24610, DOI:10.1029/2011GL049839.
- Panteleev, G., M. Yaremchuk, O. Francis, T. Kikuchi (2012). Configuring High Frequency Radar observations in the Southern Chukchi Sea. Polar Science, submitted.