Areas of Specialty and Research Interest
- Transportation engineering: Traffic analysis and simulation, demand forecasting, intelligent transportation systems (ITS) and infrastructure sustainability.
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, 1990
- M.S., Civil Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, 1987
- B.S., Civil Engineering, Aristotle University, Thessalonica, Greece, 1984
- Registered Professional Engineer in Greece and the European Community, No 45.151
- ENVISION Sustainability Professional (ENV SP), Institute for Sustainable Infrastructure, 2017
- Assistant Professor (1990-1993), Associate Professor (1994-2004), Professor (2005-present), Chairman (2015-present), Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Hawaii at Manoa.
- Consultant for Attica Tollway (Attiki Odos), Olympia Odos, Aegean Motorway, The IBI Group, Inc., the Pacific International Center for High Technology Research, INTRACOM S.A., The R. M. Towill Corporation, Cambridge Systematics, Inc., and other engineering and law firms.
Courses Taught (in the last five years)
- CEE361: Fundamentals of Transportation Engineering (F’13, F’14)
- CEE462: Traffic Engineering (S’13, S’14, S’15, S’16, F’16)
- CEE444: Infrastructure: Project Impacts, Policy and Sustainability (F’13, F’14, F’15. F’17)
- HONORS 491: The Automobile: A Multidisciplinary Analysis
- CEE499: Special Problems (S’16, F’16, F’17)
- CEE660: Transportation Evaluation and Logistics
- CEE661: Intelligent Transportation Systems (S’18)
- CEE664: Advanced Transportation Modeling
- CEE696: Selected Topics in Civil and Environmental Engineering (S’17)
- Technical expert and temporary agent of the Word Bank in Nepal, in the area of traffic safety, 2016
- Quality Assurance Panel member, New Cooperative Business Models and Guidance for Sustainable City Logistics–NOVELOG project, European Commission, 2016-2018.
- National Research Council, TRB representative to the UH, 1990-present.
- TRB committee AHB20: Freeway operations; 02/03-04/12 and 4/15-3/18.
- Chair, Freeway Simulation Subcommittee AHB20(2) (5/05-present)
- TRB Task Force AH010T: Surface Transportation Weather; 9/05-4/08.
- ASCE, national committee on Street and Highway Operations; 7/93-present.
- External evaluator for engineering programs, Greek Ministry of Education, 2011, 2013.
- Local Organizer, Steering Committee Member and Technical Program Coordinator: 2nd International Symposium of Freeway and Tollway Operations, TRB, Honolulu, Hawaii, June 21-24, 2009.
- Past member of National Research Council, TRB committees A1C04 on traveler behavior and values (1993-2002), A1J04 on airport terminals and ground access (1992-2004), A1J05 on airfield and airspace capacity and delay (1992-1998), A1F04 on transportation vibration and noise (1994-2000), A3B05/A3B11 on Traffic Records and Accident Analysis (1996-1998, 1999-2002).
- Chair of the transportation technical group, Hawaii section of ASCE (1993-1996, 2000-2002).
- Established and advisor of ITE Student Chapter at the UH-Manoa (1993-2003).
- Reviewer for Transportation Research (Pergamon Press), Transportation Research Record (National Research Council), Transportation (Kluwer Academic Publishers), World Conference on Transport Research, ASCE journals, and the Greek Ministry of Education.
- Developer and coordinator of the Traffic and Transportation Laboratory (TTL).
- President, Hawaii Highway Users Alliance (2008-2010.)
Awards and Honors
- 1994 Listed in American Men and Women of Science.
- 1995 Best Paper Award on Transportation Noise, TRB, National Research Council.
- 1996 Outstanding Civil Engineering Faculty Award, ASCE-Hawaii.
- 1996 Listed in Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers.
- 2003 One of Hawaii Reporter’s “50 people who Rocked Hawaii in 2003.”
- 2005 Institute of Transportation Engineers Van Wagoner Award for ITE Journal Paper on Urban Underpasses.
- 2008 State of Hawaii House of Representatives, Certificate of Honor for Congestion Study for Oahu by UH Traffic and Transportation Laboratory.
- 2008 candidate for Mayor of the City and County of Honolulu; received 17% of the vote.
- 2009 One of Hawaii Reporter’s “Hawaii’s Seven Superheroes.”
- 2009 One of Star Bulletin’s “Ten People Who Made a Difference in Hawaii in 2008.”
- 2009 Service Award, Freeway Operations, TRB, National Research Council.
- 2010 Certificate of Service ““ 20 Years, University of Hawaii.
- 2010 Certificates of Appreciation: Air Cargo Association of Hawaii, Manoa Waioli Lions Club, Engineers and Architects of Hawaii.
- 2010 candidate for Mayor of the City and County of Honolulu; received 19% of the vote.
- 2011 Sustainability Paper Award, World Road Association, PIARC 2011 Conference, Mexico City.
- 2012 Letter of Appreciation, Advanced Research and Training Institute, Kathmandu, Nepal.
- 2012 Council of the City and County of Honolulu, Honor Certificate for Public Service.
Research Projects (2000 – 2022)
- Zhang, Guohui and Panos D. Prevedouros, Center for Safety Equity in Transportation (CSET): serving Rural, Isolated, Tribal, and Indigenous Communities, University Transportation Center, U.S. DOT, 2017-2022
- Prevedouros, Panos D. (P.I.) and Alan Horowitz, CEE, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, “Traffic Forecasting Guidelines,” Project funded by the FHWA (80%) and the Hawaii DOT (20%), 2012-2014.
- Prevedouros, Panos D. (P.I.) “HAVO Traffic And Parking: Current Issues, Future Solutions,” Hawaii Volcanoes National Park (HAVO), Department of the Interior, (100%), 2007-2010.
- Prevedouros, Panos D. (P.I.) “Investigation of ASIM 29X, CANOGA, RTMS, SAS-1 and SMARTSENSOR for LTP, AVC AND RTTM,” Project funded by the FHWA (80%) and the Hawaii DOT (20%), 2007-2010.
- Prevedouros, Panos D. (P.I.) “Traffic Noise Analysis and Abatement Guidelines,” Project funded by the FHWA (80%) and the Hawaii DOT (20%), 2006-2011.
- Prevedouros, Panos D. (P.I.) “Simulation of Westbound Interstate H-1 Freeway between the Airport Viaduct and Waikele”, Project funded by the Oahu Metropolitan Planning Organization with FHWA (80%) and the Hawaii DOT (20%) funds, 2004-2005.
- Prevedouros, Panos D. (P.I.) “Investigation of Traffic Detectors for Use in Hawaii”. Project funded by the FHWA (80%) and the Hawaii DOT (20%), 1999-2004.
- Prevedouros, Panos D. (P.I.) “Evaluation of LightGuard Flashing Lights at Pedestrian Crossings on Pali Hwy.” Project funded by the FHWY through the Highways Division, State of Hawaii DOT, 2/2000-12/2000.
- Prevedouros, Panos D. (P.I.) “Evaluation of the Effects of Experimental Closure of the Bingham Street off-ramp.” Project funded by the Highway Division, State of Hawaii DOT, 9/2000-8/2001.
Journal Publications (2010 – 2016 sample)
- Yu, Alyx, Panos D. Prevedouros and Goro Sulijoadikusumo, Evaluation of AUTOSCOPE, SMARTSENSOR HD and TIRTL for Vehicle Classification, Transportation Research Record, No. 2160: 77-86, 2010.
- Nathanail, E.G., S. Zaharis, N. Vagiokas and P. D. Prevedouros, Risk Assessment for the Transportation of Hazardous Materials through Tunnels, Transportation Research Record, No. 2162: 98-106, 2010.
- Zhang, Lin and Panos D. Prevedouros. User Perceptions of Signalized Intersection Level of Service Using Fuzzy Logic, Transportmetrica, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 279-296, Taylor & Francis Journals, July 2011.
- Yu, Xin (Alyx), Goro Sulijoadikusumo and Panos Prevedouros. Analysis of Downstream Queues on Upstream Capacity Expansion of Urban Signalized Intersection, Journal of Transportation Systems Engineering and Information Technology, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 98-108, Elsevier 2012.
- Yu, Xin (Alyx) and Panos Prevedouros, Left Turn Prohibition and Partial Grade Separation for Signalized Intersections: Planning Level Assessment, ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering, Vol. 139, No. 4, pp. 399-406, April 2013.
- Mitropoulos, Lambros and Panos D. Prevedouros, Sustainability Assessment for Transportation Vehicles, Transportation Research Record, No. 2344: 88-97, 2013.
- Yu, Xin (Alyx) and Panos Prevedouros, Performance and Challenges in Utilizing Non-Intrusive Sensors for Traffic Data Collection, Advances in Remote Sensing, Vol. 2 No. 2, pp. 45-50. doi: 10.4236/ars.2013.22006, 2013.
- Mitropoulos, Lambros and Panos D. Prevedouros, Multicriterion Sustainability Assessment in Transportation: Private Cars, Carsharing, and Transit Buses, Transportation Research Record, No. 2403: 52-61, 2014.
- Mitropoulos, Lambros and Panos D. Prevedouros, Emissions and Cost Model for Urban Light Duty Vehicles. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, Vol. 41, pp. 147-159, Elsevier, 2015, doi: 10.1016/j.trd.2015.09.024.
- Mitropoulos, Lambros and Panos D. Prevedouros, Incorporating Sustainability Assessment in Transportation Planning: An Urban Transportation Vehicle Based Approach, Transportation Planning and Technology, Vol 39, (5). DOI: 10.1080/03081060.2016.1174363, 2016.
Selected Other Publications
- C. S. Papacostas and P. D. Prevedouros. Transportation Engineering and Planning, 3rd edition, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J., 2001, (690 pp.)
- Four-page exhibit, Table 7.1: Survey to Determine Sensor Data Requirements, in Sensor Technologies and Data Requirements For Its Applications, by Lawrence A. Klein, Artech House, 2001.
- Dehnert, Greg and Panos D. Prevedouros, Reducing Congestion with Low Clearance Underpasses at Urban Intersections: Investigation and Case Study. ITE Journal, Vol. 74, No. 3: 36-47, March 2004. Received 2005 Institute of Transportation Engineers Van Wagoner Award.
- Federal Highway Administration, Freeway Ramp Management and Control Handbook, Section 11.5 “Ramp Closure ““ Honolulu, Hawaii”, U.S. DOT, Washington, D.C., 2005.
- Prevedouros, Panos D. and Martin Stone. Reversible Express Lanes. Yearbook of Science and Technology 2008. McGraw-Hill, pp. 288-291, 2008.
- Mitropoulos K.L., P. D. Prevedouros and E.G. Nathanail, Sustainability Framework: A Case Study of Urban Transportation Vehicles. XXIVth World Road Congress. Mexico City, Mexico. September 2011. Received Sustainability Paper Award (600 accepted papers, 8 awards.)
- Prevedouros, Panos D. and Alyx Yu. Integrated Process for Traffic Project Evaluation and Decision Making. Yearbook of Science and Technology 2013. McGraw-Hill, 2013.
- Shi, Liang and Panos D. Prevedouros, Is the HCM Ready to Handle Driverless Cars? An Assessment of Uninterrupted Flow Chapters, Paper 15-2401, 94th Annual Meeting of TRB, Washington, D.C., 2015.
- Prevedouros, Panos D. and Bill M. Halkias, Expressway Forecasts in the Volatile Economic Environment of Greece, Proceedings of the International Symposium on Enhancing Highway Performance (ISEHP) and 3rd ISFO. Berlin, Germany, 2016.
- Prevedouros, Panos D. and Lambros K. Mitropoulos, A Practical Assessment Model for Sustainable Transportation, 7th Civil Engineering Conference in the Asia Region (CECAR 7), Asian Civil Engineering Coordinating Council, August 30 September 2, Honolulu, HI.