Assistant Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Office: POST 203G
Phone: (808) 956-9859
Areas of Specialty and Research Interest
Coastal and ocean engineering including coastal run-up and Inundation process, probabilistic coastal hazards and damage assessment, physical (experimental) and computational fluid dynamic (CFD) modeling of water and structure interaction, coastal debris advection, and resilience of coastal community from natural disasters.
- PhD, Civil and Construction Engineering, Oregon State University, 2016
- MS, Civil Engineering, University of Seoul, 2006
- BS, Civil Engineering, University of Seoul, 2004
- Assistant Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Hawaii at Manoa, August 2019 – Present.
- Postdoctoral Scholar, Oregon State University, April 2016 – July 2019.
- Research Engineer, Seil Engineering Co. Ltd., S. Korea, 2006 – 2011.
Courses Taught (in the last five years)
- CEE 320: Fluid Mechanics Fundamentals (F’20)
- CEE 622: Fluid Mechanics (F’19)
- CEE 696: Selected Topics in Civil Engineering (S’20)
- Member, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- Review Editor on the Editorial Board of Geohazards and Georisks in journal Frontiers in Earth Science.
- Kameshwar1, S., Cox, D. T., Barbosa, A. R., Farokhnia, K., Park, H., Alam, M., S., van de Lindt, J. W. (2019). “Probabilistic decision-support framework for community resilience: Incorporating multi-hazards, infrastructure interdependencies, and resilience goals in a Bayesian network.” In Press, Reliability Engineering and System Safety.
- Park, H., Alam, M.S., Cox, D.T., Barbosa, A.R. and van de Lindt, J.W. (2019). Probabilistic seismic and tsunami damage analysis (PSTDA) of the Cascadia Subduction Zone applied to Seaside, Oregon. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, p.101076.
- Xiong, Y., Liang, Q., Park, H., Cox, D. and Wang, G., (2019) “A deterministic approach for assessing tsunami-induced building damage through quantification of hydrodynamic forces” Coastal Engineering, 114, 1-14.
- Park, H., Trung, Do, Tomiczek, T. J., Cox, D. T., van de Lindt, J. W. (2018). “Numerical modeling of wave forces on elevated coastal structures under storm surge and waves with validations and two model comparisons” Ocean Engineering,158, 78-98.
- Park, H., Cox, D. T., Barbosa, A. R. (2018) “Probabilistic Tsunami Hazard Assessment (PTHA) for Resilience Assessment of a Coastal Community. Natural Hazards, 94, 1117–1139.
- Chen, Y., Park, H., Chen, Y., Corcoran, P., Cox, D., Reimer, J.J. and Weber, B. (2018) Integrated Engineering-Economic Model for the Assessment of Regional Economic Vulnerability to Tsunamis. Natural Hazards Review, 19(4), p.04018018.
- Park, H., Shin, S., and Cox, D. T. (2017) “Physical modeling of horizontal force on the inland vertical structure by tsunami-like waves” Journal of Korean Society of Coastal and Ocean Engineers 29(6), pp. 363~368, https://doi.org/10.9765/KSCOE.2017.29.6.363
- Park, H., Cox, D. T., Alam, M. S., & Barbosa, A. (2017) Probabilistic seismic and tsunami hazard analysis (PSTHA) conditioned on a mega-thrust rupture of the Cascadia Subduction Zone. Frontiers in Built Environment, 3, 32.
- Park, H., Tomiczek, T. J., Cox, D. T., van de Lindt, J. W., Lomonaco, P. (2017) “Experimental modeling of horizontal and vertical wave forces on an elevated coastal structure” Coastal Engineering, 128, 58-74.
- Park, H. and Cox, D.T., Barbosa, A. (2017) “Comparison of inundation depth and momentum flux based fragilities for probabilistic tsunami damage assessment and uncertainty analysis” Coastal Engineering, 122, 10-26.
- Park, H. and Cox, D.T. (2016) “Probabilistic assessment of nearfield tsunami arrival time, flow depth, velocity, momentum flux, and duration applied to Seaside, Oregon” Coastal Engineering, 117, 79-96.
- Park, H. and Cox, D.T. (2016) “Empirical wave run-up formula for wave, storm surge and berm width” Coastal Engineering, 115, 67-78.
- Wang, H., Mostafizi, A., Cramer, L., Cox, D., H. (2015) “An agent-based model of a multimodal near-field tsunami evacuation: Decision-making and life safety” Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 64, 86-100.
- Park, H., Cox, D. T., Petroff, C. M. (2015) “An empirical solution for tsunami run-up on compound slopes” Natural Hazards, 76(3), 1727-1743.
- Wiebe, D. M., Park, H., Cox, D. T. (2014) “Application of The Goda pressure formulae for horizontal wave loads on elevated structures” KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering, 18(6), 1573-1579.
- Park, H., Cox, D., Lynett, P., Wiebe, D., Shin, S. (2013) “Tsunami inundation modeling in constructed environments: A physical and numerical comparison of free-surface elevation, velocity, and momentum flux” Coastal Engineering, 79, 9-21.
- Kim, G. S., Ryu, H. S., Park, H., Kim, K. M. (2013) “Characteristics of Sediment Transport under External Force in Haeundae Beach” Journal of Navigation and Port Research, 37(6), 663-671.