Assistant Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Office: Holmes Hall 343
Phone: (808) 956-6538
FAX: (808) 956-5014
Areas of Specialty and Research Interests
- Multi-hazard sustainable and resilient structures for civil infrastructures
- Analytical and experimental evaluations of structural performance under extreme loading
- Structural health monitoring and smart sensors
- Risk assessment and mitigation
- Multi-platform and multi-resolution hybrid simulations of complex structures
- Information technology and structural control applications in structural engineering
- Ph.D., Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2012
- M.S., Civil, Urban and Geosystem Engineering, Seoul National University, 2006
- B.S., Civil, Urban and Geosystem Engineering, Seoul National University, 2001
- Registered Professional Engineer (P.E.), Civil Engineering, State of Michigan, No. 6201064548
- Assistant Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 2018.08-present
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Smart Structures Technology Laboratory (SSTL)/ Network for Earthquake Engineering Simulation (NEES), University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2014.06-2018.06
- Research Associate, Mid-American Earthquake (MAE) Center, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2008.01-2014.05
- Research Engineer, Korea Bridge Design & Engineering Research Center (KBRC), Seoul National University, 2006.03-2007.07
- Research Assistant, Korea Earthquake Engineering Research Center (KEERC), Seoul National University, 2004.03-2006.02
Courses Taught (in the last five years)
- CEE370: Mechanics of Materials (F’19, F’20)
- CEE 681: Modern Structural Analysis (F’18)
- CEE 675: Structural Dynamics I (S’19)
- CEE 696: Earthquake Engineering (S’20)
- Member, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)/Structural Engineering Institute (SEI)
- Member, Earthquake Engineering Research Institute (EERI)
- Member, American Concrete Institute (ACI)
- Member, International Code Council (ICC)
- Reviewer, Journal of Earthquake Engineering (JEE)
- Reviewer, Earthquakes and Structures (EAS)
- Assistant Organizer, International Conference on Multi-hazard Approaches to Civil Infrastructure Engineering (ICMAE), Chicago, June 26-27, 2014
- Organizer/Session Chair, 10th EKS Annual Retreat, Allerton Park, IL, February 1-2, 2014
- Project Owner/Developer, ZEUS-NL Open Source Project (http://code.google.com/p/zeus-nl/), 2010-2018
- Executive/Finance Director, Korean-American Scientists and Engineers Association (KSEA), Central Illinois Chapter, 2008-2018
- Tau Beta Pi, National Engineering Honor Society
- Phi Kappa Phi, National All-discipline Honor Society
- CEE Scholarship for 6AESE/11ANCRiSST, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2015
- Graduate College Travel Award, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2011
- Research/Teaching Assistantship and Tuition Scholarship, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2008-2012
- Superior Academic Performance, Graduate School, Seoul National University, 2005
- Research Assistantship, College of Engineering, Seoul National University, 2004-2006
- Army Commendation Medal (ARCOM), U.S. Army, 2004
- Merit-based Scholarship, Hanam Scholarship Foundation, 1999
- Superior Academic Performance, Seoul National University, 1997-1998, 2001
- Moon, D., Lee, Y. and Lee, S. (2018) “Fragility Analysis of Space Reinforced Concrete Frame Structures with Structural Irregularity in Plan” ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, 144 (8), DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0002092.
- Park, J., Moon, D., Yoon, H., Gomez, F., and Spencer, B. (2018) “Visual-inertia Displacement Sensing Using Data Fusion of Vision-Based Displacement with Acceleration” Structural Control and Health Monitoring, 25 (3), DOI:10.1002/stc.2122
- Liu, C., Park, J., Spencer, B., Moon, D., and Fan, J. (2017) “Sensor Fusion for Structural Tilt Estimation using an Acceleration-based Tilt Sensor and a Gyroscope” Smart Materials and Structures, 26 (10), DOI: 10.1088/1361-665X/aa84a0.
- Moon, D., Lee, Y., and Lee, S. (2016) “Seismic Vulnerability Assessment of RC Frame Structures Using 3D Analytical Models” Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, 17 (9), p724-731.
- Moon, D. (2015) “ZEUS-NL” Computational Structural Engineering, 28 (3), p65-68.
- Lee, Y. and Moon, D. (2014) “A New Methodology of the Development of Seismic Fragility Curves” Smart Structures and Systems, 14 (5), p847-867.
- Moon, D. and Gencturk, B. (2011) “ZEUS-NL” https://nees.org/resources/zeus.
- Moon, D., Lee, K., and Chang, S. (2007) “Stroke Booster Device for Actuator” Patent No. 1007785410000, South Korea, Registered.
- Moon, D., Lee, K., and Chang, S. (2007) “Concrete-filled Steel Tower of Cable-stayed Bridge” Patent No. 1007433430000, South Korea, Registered.
- Moon, D., Bae, S., Lee, K., and Chang, S. (2005) “Seismic Analysis and Seismic Capacity Evaluation Method of Steel Pylon Cable-stayed Bridge Considering Non-linearity” Korean Society of Civil Engineers Journal of Civil Engineering, 2005 (10), p963-966.