David T. Ma
Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Office: Holmes Hall 339
Areas of Specialty and Research Interest
- Blue Energy
- Energy Harvesting
- Micro-/Nano- Systems
- Interfacial Phenomena
- Structural Health Monitoring
- Linear and Nonlinear System Identification
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of California, Santa Barbara, 2003.
- M.S., Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of California, Santa Barbara, 2003.
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Science and Technology Beijing, China, 1999.
- B.S., Naval Architecture, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China, 1991.
- Professor, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, University of Hawai’i, Manoa, June 2015 – present
- Associate Professor, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, University of Hawai’i, Manoa, August 2010 – 2015
- Assistant Professor, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, University of Hawai’i, Manoa, August 2005 – 2010
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Department of Mechanical Engineering & Environmental Engineering, University of California, Santa Barbara, July 2003-August 2005
- Mechanical Engineer, Research and Development Institution, No. 2 Heavy Machinery Group of China, July 1991 – September 1999
Courses Taught at UH (in the last five years)
- CEE 381: Structural Analysis (F’14, S’15, F’15, S’16)
- CEE 482: Indeterminate Structures
- CEE 675: Structural Dynamics I
- CEE 677: Smart Structures Technology (F’15, F’16)
- CEE 681: Modern Structural Analysis (F’16)
- CEE 691: Seminar in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Member, American Society of Civil Engineers, ASCE
- Member, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, AIAA
- Guo, Y., Yu, H., Zhang, G., and Ma, T. (2021) “Exploring the impacts of travel-implied policy factors on COVID-19 spread within communities based on multi-source data interpretations.” Health & Place, 69, 102538.
- Yu, H., Li, Z., Zhang, G., Liu, P., and Ma, T. (2021) “Fusion convolutional neural network-based interpretation of unobserved heterogeneous factors in driver injury severity outcomes in single-vehicle crashes.” Analytic Methods in Accident Research, 100157.
- Yu, J. and Ma, T. (2021) “Harvesting blue energy with carbon electrodes of asymmetric nanopore distributions.” Nano Energy, 82, 105766.
- Yu, J. and Ma, T. (2020) “Triboelectricity-based self-charging droplet capacitor for harvesting low-level ambient energy.” Nano Energy 74, 104795.
- Zhang, Q., Yu, H., Li, Z., Zhang, G., and Ma, D. T. (2020) “Assessing potential likelihood and impacts of landslides on transportation network vulnerability.” Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, 82, 10234.
- Li, Z., Ci, Y., Chen, C., Zhang, G., Wu, Q., Qian, Z. S., Prevedouros, P.D., and Ma, T. (2019) “Investigation of driver injury severities in rural single-vehicle crashes under rain conditions using mixed logit and latent class models.” Accident Analysis and Prevention 124, 219–229.
- Zhang, H., Corr, L. and Ma, T. (2018) “Effects of electrical loads containing non-resistive components on piezoelectric energy harvesting.” Mechanical systems and Signal Processing 111, 210–221.
- Yu, J., Ma, E. and Ma. T. (2018) “Exponential energy harvesting through repetitive reconfigurations of a system of capacitors.” Communications Physics 1:9, DOI: 10.1038/s42005-018-0010-y.
- Zhang, H., Corr, L. and Ma, T. (2018) “Issues in vibration energy harvesting.” Journal of Sound and Vibration, 421, 79–90.
- Zhang, H., Corr, L. and Ma, T. (2018) “Effects of electrical loads containing non-resistive components on electromagnetic vibration energy harvester performance.” Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 101, 55–66.
- Yu, J., Ma, E. and Ma. T. (2017) “Harvesting energy from low-frequency excitations through alternate contacts between water and two dielectric materials.” Scientific Reports 7, 17145.
- Corr, L. and Ma, T. (2016) “An estimate of spherical impactor energy transfer for mechanical frequency upconversion energy harvester.”, AIP Advances, 6, 085019.
- Zhang, H. and Ma, T. (2015) “Roles of the Excitation in Harvesting Energy from Vibrations.” PLoS ONE, 10(10): e0141299. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0141299Vibrations”
- Ma, T., Bell, M. S., Lu,W. and Xu, N. S. (2014) “Recovering Structural Displacements and Velocities from Acceleration Measurements”, Smart Structures and Systems, 14(2), 191-207, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12989/sss.2014.14.2.191.
- Ma, T. and Zhang, H. (2014) “Reaping the full potential of nonlinear energy harvesting with tunable damping and modulation of the forcing functions”, Applied Physics Letters, 104, 214104, DOI: 10.1063/1.4879846
- Zhang, H. and Ma, T. (2012) “Iterative Harmonic Balance for Period-One Rotating Solution of Parametric Pendulum”, Nonlinear Dynamics, 70, 2433-2444, DOI: 10.1007/ s11071-012-0631-8
- Ma, T. and Zhang, H. (2012) “Enhancing Mechanical Energy Harvesting with Dynamics Escaped from Potential Well.”, Applied Physics Letters 100(11), 114107.
- Ma, T., Xu, N. S. and Zhang, H. (2012). “A novel parametrically excited nonlinear energy harvester”, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 28(4), 323–332, DOI:10.1016/j.ymssp.2012.01.017.
- Ma, T. (2011). “Opportunities of Using Nonlinear Oscillators to Enhance Energy Harvesting from Impulsively Loaded Structures”, Journal of Systems and Control Engineering 225(4), 467–474 DOI: 10.1177/2041304110394563.
- Zhang, H. and Ma, T. W. “New insights into vibration-based energy harvesting”, Proceedings of SPIE, March 2015, San Diego, CA, USA
- Bell, M. and Ma, T.W. “Recovering bridge deflections from collocated acceleration and strain measurements”, Proceedings of SPIE, March 2015, San Diego, CA, USA
- Zhang, H. and Ma, T. W. “Scavenging Energy From Ambient Vibrations Using Nonlinear Oscillators with Asymmetrical Potential Well”, ASCE Earth and Space Conference, October 2014, St. Louis, USA
- Lu, W., Xu, N. X., and Ma, T. W. “Internal-Model Kalman Filtering for Structural Deflection Estimate”, The first International Congress on Advances in Structural Engineering and Mechanics, September 2011, Seoul, Korea
- Lu, W., Xu, N. X., and Ma, T. W. “Bridge Deflection Monitoring Based on Acceleration Measurements”, International Symposium On Innovation & Sustainability Of Structures In Civil Engineering, October 28-30, 2011, Xiamen, China
- Yu, X.C., Ma, T. W., and Falzarano, J. M. “Application of A New Semi-active Control Strategy to Dynamic Response Control of An Offshore Platform Using MR Dampers”, Proceedings of the ASME 9th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore, and Arctic Engineering, OMAE June 6-11, 2010, Shanghai, China
- Ma, T. W., Xu, N. S., and Zhang, H. “A Novel Vibration-based Energy Harvester Using Pendulum-generator System”, Proceedings of the ASCE Earth and Space Conference, March 16-18, 2010 Honolulu, HI (invited)
- Ma, T. W., Xu, N. S., and Zhang, H. “A Low-frequency Vibration-based Energy Harvester Utilizing Para- metrical Resonance” Proceedings of the 5th International Workshop on Energy Harvesting, March 3-5, 2010 Blacksburg, VA
- Ma, T. W. and Labou, M. “On Energy Harvesting Using Nonlinear Oscillators”, Proceedings of Annual NSF Awardees Conference, June 2009, Honolulu, HI
- Zhang, L. M., Ma, T. W., Liu, X. L., and Chen, W. F. “Vulnerability of Framed Structures with Existing Localized Damage” Proceedings of The 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, August 2008, Beijing, China
- Iu, J., Ma, T. W., Chan, S. L., and Chen, W. F. “Integrating Design and Analysis: A System Approach”, Proceedings of CTBUH the 8th World Congress, 2008, Dubai, India
- Cho, S. Chan, S. L., Chen, W. F, and Ma, T. W. “Modern Simulation Based Design” Proceedings of CTBUH the 8th World Congress, 2008, Dubai, India
- Zhang, L. M., Ma, T. W., Park, S. H., Liu, X. L., and Chen, W. F. “Progressive Collapse and Vulnerability of a Framed Structure Subject to a Blast Load”, Proceedings of The first International Workshop on Performance, Protection and Strengthening of Structures under Extreme Loading, September 2007, Vancouver, Canada
- Ma, T. W. and Xu, N. S. “Continuous Time Parameter Estimation of Multistory Buildings”, Proceedings of SPIE, Volume 6529, March 2007, San Diego, CA
- Han, X., He, Q., Sebastijanovic, N., Ma, T. W., Yang, H. T. Y. “Developing Hybrid Structural Health Monitoring Via Integrated Global Sensing and Local Infrared Imaging”, Proceedings of SPIE, Volume 652, March 2007, San Diego, CA