Assistant Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Office: Holmes Hall 340
Phone: (808) 956-6628
FAX: (808) 956-5014
Areas of Specialty and Research Interest
• Bio-mediated and bio-inspired geotechnics
• Geoenvironmental engineering and soil remediation
• Geotechnical applications of recycled materials and industry by-products
• Ground improvement and soil stabilization
• Soil erosion and fines migration
• Wellbore strengthening in petroleum geotechnics
• Ph.D., Geotechnical Engineering, University of Cambridge, UK, 2016.
• B.Eng., Highway and Bridge Engineering, Southeast University, China, 2011.
• Assistant Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 2017.01-present
• Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Cambridge, UK, 2016.07-2016.12
Courses Taught (in the last five years)
- CEE 355: Geotechnical Engineering I (F’17, S’18, F’18, S’20)
- CEE 455: Geotechnical Engineering II (S’19, F’20)
- CEE 696: Ground Improvement Principles and Techniques (S’17, F’19, F’20)
- CEE 696: Ground Improvement Principles and Techniques 002 ( F’19)
• Member American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
• Member International Society of Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ISSMGE)
• Member Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE)
• Reviewer Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering; Canadian Geotechnical Journal; Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering; International Journal of Physical Modelling in Geotechnics; Géotechnique Letters; Ecological Engineering; Environmental Geotechnics
• Mao Yisheng Engineering Education Student Award 2011
1. Jiang, N.J., Soga, K., and Kuo, M. (2016). “Microbially induced carbonate precipitation (MICP) for seepage-induced internal erosion control in sand-clay mixtures.” Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering. doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0001559.
2. Jiang, N.J., and Soga, K. (2016). “The applicability of microbially induced calcite precipitation (MICP) for internal erosion control in gravel-sand mixtures.” Géotechnique. doi: 10.1680/jgeot.15.P.182.
3. Du, Y.J., Yu, B.W., Liu, K., Jiang, N.J. (Corresponding author), and Liu, M.D. (2016). “Physical, hydraulic and mechanical properties of clayey soil stabilized by lightweight alkali-activated slag geopolymer.” Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering. doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533. 0001743
4. Wirth, X., Jiang, N.J. (Corresponding author), da Silva, T., Della-Vecchia, G., Evans, J., Romero-Morales, E., and Bhatia, S. K. (2016). “Undergraduate geotechnical engineering education of the 21st century.” Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice. doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)EI.1943-5541.0000317.
5. Jiang, N.J., Yoshioka, H., Yamamoto, K., and Soga, K. (2016). “Ureolytic activities of a urease-producing bacterium and purified urease enzyme under the anoxic condition: Implication for subseafloor sand production control by microbially induced calcite precipitation (MICP).” Ecological Engineering. 90: 96-104.
6. Du, Y.J., Jiang, N.J. (Corresponding author), Liu, S.Y., Horpibulsuk, S., and Arulrajah, A. (2016). “Field evaluation of soft highway subgrade soil stabilized with calcium carbide residues.” Soils and Foundations. 56(2): 301-314.
7. Jiang, N.J., Du, Y.J., Liu, S.Y., Wei, M.L., Horpibulsuk, S., and Arulrajah, A. (2016). “Multi-scale laboratory evaluation of the physical, mechanical and microstructural properties of soft highway subgrade soil stabilized with calcium carbide residue.” Canadian Geotechnical Journal. 53(3): 373-383.
8. Jiang, N.J., Du, Y.J., Liu, S.Y., and Zhu, J.J. (2014). “Experimental investigation of the compressibility behaviour of cement-solidified/stabilised zinc-contaminated kaolin clay.” Géotechnique Letters. 4(1): 27-32.
9. Du, Y.J., Jiang, N.J., Liu, S.Y., Jin, F., Singh, D.N., and Puppala, A.J. (2014). “Engineering properties and microstructural characteristics of cement-stabilized zinc-contaminated kaolin.” Canadian Geotechnical Journal. 51(3): 289-302.
10. Du, Y.J., Jiang, N.J., Shen, S.L., and Jin, F. (2012). “Experimental investigation of influence of acid rain on leaching and hydraulic characteristics of cement-based solidified/stabilized lead contaminated clay.” Journal of Hazardous Materials, 225-226: 195-201.