Oceana Puananilei Francis
Associate Professor – Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering/Sea Grant College Program
Phone: (808) 956-6555
Areas of Specialty and Research Interest
Resilient urban communities and infrastructure systems from hydrodynamic hazards; circulation and transport in nearshore regions and oceans; wave hydrodynamics; sea level rise; sea ice affecting oceanic processes.
- Ph.D., Atmospheric Sciences, University of Alaska, Fairbanks, 2012
- M.Sc., Civil Engineering, University of Alaska, Anchorage, 2004
- B.Sc., Civil Engineering, University of Alaska, Anchorage, AK, 2002
- B.Sc., Physics & Astronomy, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, 1995
- Professional Engineer (Civil), License No. 15223, State of Hawaii
- Professional Engineer (Civil), License No. 11226, State of Alaska
- Aug 2012 – Present, Assistant, Associate Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and Sea Grant College Program, University of Hawai’i at Mānoa, Honolulu, HI
- Mar-Aug 2012, Post-Doctoral Fellow, International Arctic Research Center, University of Alaska Fairbanks, Fairbanks, AK
- 2005-2011, Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Atmospheric Sciences, University of Alaska Fairbanks, Fairbanks, AK
- May-Aug 2009, Engineer, Alyeska Pipeline Service Company, Anchorage, AK
- 2003-2005, Engineer, Tryck Nyman Hayes, Inc. Anchorage, AK
- 2002-2003, Graduate Research Fellow, School of Engineering, University of Alaska Anchorage, Anchorage, AK
- 2000-2002, Engineer, Village Safe Water, Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation, Anchorage, AK
Courses Taught (in the last five years)
- CEE320: Fluid Mechanics Fundamentals (S’15, S’16, S’17, S’18)
- CEE421: Engineering Hydraulics
- CEE440: Vulnerability & Adaptation on Coastal Infrastructure (S’16, F’20 offered as CEE 491 S’15, F’15))
- CEE622: Fluid Mechanics (F’17)
- CEE691: Seminar in Civil and Environmental Engineering (F’16)
- CEE696: Selected Topics in Civil Engr (F’19 ( two courses)
- CEE696: Coastal Flood Mitigation (F’20)
- Editor for Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology, American Meteorological Society (JTECH-O AMS), 2018-present
- Cooperating Faculty of the Department of Ocean and Resources Engineering at University of Hawaii, 2016-present
- Co-Convener, Asia Oceania Geosciences Society (AOGS) 15th Annual Meeting, OS20 “Building Resilience – Climate Change Impacts, Adaptation, and Challenges”, June 3-8, 2018, Honolulu, HI
- Scientific Review Committee, Co-Convener, and Closing Invited Speaker, Pacific Risk Management ‘Ohana (PRIMO) Conference, March 20-23, 2017, Honolulu, HI
- Convener, 2014 Ocean Sciences Meeting, 030 “Wind-generated waves and storm surge from meteorological activity”, February 23-28, 2014, Honolulu, HI
- Review Panel, UH Sea Grant College Program 2014-2016 Biennial Grant Award Cycle
- Review Panel, NSF Tribal College and Universities Program
- Review Panel, Maui County
- Peer Review, NSF CMMI – Hazard Mit & Structural Engineering
- Peer Review, Ocean Engineering
- Peer Review, Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology
- Peer Review, Journal of Geophysical Research – Oceans
- Peer Review, Geophysical Research Letters
- Peer Review, Journal of Geophysical Research – Atmospheres
- Peer Review, Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Fairbanks Branch, President (2010-2011), Vice-President (2009-2010), Secretary/Treasurer (2008-2009)
Awards and Honors
- 2015, Inaugural Award for Exemplary Multi-Institutional and Regional Collaborations in the Service of Citizen Science, National Center for Science and Civic Engagement
- 2010, Young Engineer of the Year Award, Alaska Society of Professional Engineers, Fairbanks Chapter
- 2010, Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Graduate Scholarship, Alfred P. Sloan Foundation
- 2005-2007, College of Natural Science & Mathematics Graduate Fellowship, University of Alaska Fairbanks
- 2006-2007, Minorities Striving and Pursuing Higher Degrees of Success (MSPHDS) in Earth System Science, National Aeronautics and Space Administration and National Science Foundation
- 2005, International Conference on Arctic Research Planning (ICARP) II Scholarship, Danish Polar Center
- 2002-2003, Alaska Experimental Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (EPSCoR) Infrastructure and Systems for Cold Regions (ISCR) Graduate Fellowship, National Science Foundation and the State of Alaska
- Oceana Francis (PI), Guohui Zhang, Horst Brandes, David Ma (co-PIs), Statewide Highway Shoreline Protection Program Study Update, Supplemental Task Agreement (2017-1A-S1), Hawaii Department of Transportation, $85,000, 07/01/2018 – 06/30/2020.
- Oceana Francis (PI), Stormwater Management for Transportation Planners and Engineers, University of Hawaii (via UH Pacific Southwest Region 9 University Transportation Center), $25,000, 07/01/2018 – 09/30/2019.
- Oceana Francis (PI), Horst Brandes, David Ma (co-PIs), Statewide Highway Shoreline Protection Program Study Update, Task Agreement (2017-1A), Hawaii Department of Transportation, $700,000, 07/01/2017 – 06/30/2020.
- Mehana Vaughan , Kamana Beamer, Greg Chun, Malia Akutagawa, Malia Nobrega-Oliveira (co-PIs); Noelani Puniwai, Noelani Goodyear-Kaʻōpua, Kekuewa Kikiloi, Rosie Alegado, Oceana Francis, Noa Lincoln and Carl Evensen (Leadership Team), Kūʻokoʻa: Sustaining Abundant ʻĀina & Resilient Leadership, Strategic Investment Initiative, OVCR, University of Hawaii, $327,241, 01/01/18 – 06/30/19.
- Davianna McGregor (PI), Christopher Baker, Rosie Alegado, Oceana Francis, Joshua Kaakua (co-PIs), Indigenous Hawaiian Science and Resilient Islands under the project “Engaging Sustainability and Resilience of Island Ecosystems, Stewardship and Indigenous Sciences: Enhancing Student, Faculty and Community Capacity, Strategic Investment Initiative, OVCR, University of Hawaii, $47,000, 01/01/18 – 06/30/19.
- Oceana Francis, National disaster preparedness training center (NDPTC), Department of Homeland Security, Federal Emergency Management Agency, $22,000, 5/15/2017 – 7/15/2017.
- Oceana Francis, Modernization of Coastal Processes Modeling, Department of Defense, $30,000, 8/15/2016 – 10/14/2017.
- Oceana Francis (PI), Scott Miller, Thanh Nguyen (co-PIs), Broadening Participation of Native Hawaiians for Engineering Faculty Careers, National Science Foundation, $660,720, 11/01/2015 – 10/31/2019.
- Roger Babcock (PI), Sayed Bateni, Steve Dollar, Oceana Francis (coPIs), Nutrient and Sediment Contributions from Urban Storm Water, National Fish and Wildlife Foundation, $66,525, 11/03/2014 – 12/30/2015.
- Roger Babcock (PI), Sayed Bateni, Oceana Francis (coPIs), Preliminary Engineering Analysis and Development of Retrofit Designs: Sediment Retention at Honokowai Structure #8, Wahikuli-Honokowai Priority Site, Maui, Hawaii, Department of Land and Natural Resources, $51,000, 10/15/2013-09/30/2014.
- Oceana Francis, Physical Oceanographic and Meteorological Data for Beaufort and Chukchi Seas to Support Reliability-based Design Criteria for Arctic Offshore Oil and Gas Structures, University of Alaska Fairbanks, $36,000, 07/01/2013 – 06/30/2015.
- Oceana Francis, Design and development of a public water supply system for Moku o Loʻe (Coconut Island), Hawai’i, USA, Sea Grant College Program, University of Hawaii. $42,000, 06/01/2013 – 12/31/2016.
- Oceana Francis, Cordova Sectional Barge Study, University of Alaska Fairbanks, $11,226, 09/01/2012 – 08/31/2013.
- Oceana Francis, Water, Energy and Soil Sustainability (WESS) Course Development, Hawaii Natural Energy Institute (HNEI), $22,644. 08/01/2012 – 06/30/2013.
Grants – Equipment and Logistic Support
- Oceana Francis, Acoustic Doppler Current Profilers AND SonTek ARGONAUT-MD 600m single point doppler current meters, National Data Buoy Center, $409,402, 10/01/2015 –12/28/2016.
- Oceana Francis, Kaho’olawe Wave and Current Measurement Study, Kaho’olawe Island Reserve Commission, $85,000, 08/01/2014 – 07/31/2015.
Recent Selected Publications *denotes O. Francis’ student(s)/postdocs
- Book chapters
- Stroh, J.N., S. Kirillov, G. Panteleev, O. Francis, M. Yaremchuk, E. Bloshkina and N. Lebedev (November 5th 2018). Changes in Arctic Ocean Climate Evinced through Analysis of IPY 2007–2008 Oceanographic Observations in Arctic Studies – A Proxy for Climate Change [Online First], IntechOpen, DOI: 10.5772/intechopen.80926. Available from: https://www.intechopen.com/online-first/changes-in-arctic-ocean-climate-evinced-through-analysis-of-ipy-2007-2008-oceanographic-observations.
- Francis, O., Coastal Adaptive Design and Adaptation, In Climate-Resilient Infrastructure: Adaptive Design and Risk Management, MOP 140, Committee on Adaptation to a Changing Climate, American Society of Civil Engineers, Ed’s: B. M. Ayyub, D. Walker, R. N. Wright, T. Vinson, M. Medina. (2018). ISBN 9780784415191, https://doi.org/10.1061/9780784415191.
- Panteleev G., M. Yaremchuk, V. Luchin, O. Francis, The Bering Sea Regional Data Assimilation System: From Climate Variability to Short Term Hindcasting, In The Ocean in Motion – Circulation, Waves, Polar Oceanography, Springer Oceanography, Ed’s: M. G. Velarde, R. Tarakanov, A.V. Marchenko, (2017), ISBN 978-3-319-71933-7, https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-71934-4.
- Togia, H.*, O. Francis, K. Kim, G. Zhang (2019). Segment-based approach for assessing hazard risk of coastal highways in Hawai’i. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Sage Publications Inc. https://doi.org/10.1177/0361198118821679.
- Kim, K., O. Francis, E. Yamashita (2018). Learning to Build Resilience into Transportation Systems. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Sage Publications Inc. https://doi.org/10.1177/0361198118786622.
- Onat, Y.*, M. Marchant*, O. Francis and K. Kim (2018). Coastal exposure of the Hawaiian Islands using GIS-based index modeling. Ocean & Coastal Management, 163, 113-129, ISSN 0964-5691, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ocecoaman.2018.06.003.
- Onat, Y.*, O. Francis and K. Kim (2018). Vulnerability assessment and adaptation to sea level rise in high-wave environments: A case study on O’ahu, Hawai’i, Ocean & Coastal Management, 157, 147-159, ISSN 0964-5691, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ocecoaman.2018.02.021.
- Francis, O., Panteleev, M. Yaremchuk, V. Luchin, J. Stroh, P. Posey, D. Herbert (2018). Observing System Simulation Experiments and Adjoint Sensitivity Analysis – methods for observational programs in the Arctic Ocean. Arctic, Vol. 71, Suppl. 1, 1-14, https://doi.org/10.14430/arctic4603.
- Francis, O.P., M. Yaremchuk, G.G. Panteleev, J. Zhang, and M. Kulakov (2017). Anomalous circulation in the Pacific sector of the Arctic Ocean in July-December 2008. Ocean Modelling, 117, 12-27, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ocemod.2017.06.006.
- Panteleev, G., M. Yaremchuk, O. Francis, P.J. Stabeno, T. Weingartner, and J. Zhang (2016), An inverse modeling study of circulation in the Eastern Bering Sea during 2007-2010. J. Geophys. Res. Oceans, 121, 3970-3989, doi:10.1002/2015JC011287.
- Panteleev G., M. Yaremchuk, O. Francis, T. Kikuchi (2013). Configuring High Frequency Radar observations in the Southern Chukchi Sea. Polar Science, 7(2), 72-81, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polar.2013.01.001.
- Francis, O.P. and D.E. Atkinson (2012). Synoptic forcing of wave state in the southeast Chukchi Sea, Alaska, at an offshore location. Natural Hazards, Volume 62, Number 3, 1169-1189, doi:10.1007/s11069-012-0142-4.
- Francis, O.P. and D.E. Atkinson (2012). Synoptic forcing of wave state in the southeast Chukchi Sea, Alaska, at nearshore locations. Natural Hazards, Volume 62, Number 3, 1273-1300, doi:10.1007/s11069-012-0148-y.
- Francis, O.P., G.G. Panteleev, and D.E. Atkinson (2011), Ocean wave conditions in the Chukchi Sea from satellite and in situ observations, Res. Lett., 38, L24610, doi:10.1029/2011GL049839.