Assistant Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Office: Holmes Hall 339
Phone: (808) 956-7377
FAX: (808) 956-5014
Areas of Specialty and Research Interests
- Passive (battery-free) Wireless Sensor Design
- Multi-Physics (electromagnetics-mechanics) Simulation
- Low-Cost Multi-Functional Sensor
- Data-Driven Monitoring System
- Structural Health Monitoring
- Ph.D., Civil and Environmental Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, 2016
- M.S., Electrical Computer Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, 2016
- M.S., Architectural Engineering, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea, 2009
- B.S., Architectural Engineering, Konkuk University, Seoul, Korea, 2003
- Assistant Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 2018.8-present
- Postdoctoral Scholar, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, 2017.8 – 2018.07
- Structural Engineer, HYUNDAI Architects & Engineers Association, Korea, 2009.3 – 2010.5
- Engineering Officer, Republic of Korea Marine Corps, Korea, 2003.03 – 2006.06
Courses Taught (in the last five years)
- CEE 381: Structural Analysis (F’18, S’19, F’19, S’20, F’20)
- CEE 686: Finite Elements in Structures (F’20)
- Reviewer, Korean Journal of Civil Engineering
- Reviewer, ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management
- Reviewer, MDPI Sensors Journal
- Reviewer, IEEE Sensors Journal
- 2018 Best Paper Award, International Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction, Germany.
- 2017 Best Paper Award, International Workshop on Computing in Civil Engineering, USA
- 2011 Student Best Paper Award, International Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring, USA
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Cho, C., Park, J. (2018). “Embodied safety awareness system: Embodied cognition through an artificial sensor system for improved awareness for hazards.” Sensors, Basel, 18 (4), 1200.
- Cho, C., Kim, K., Park, J., Cho, Y. K., (2018). “Data-driven monitoring system for preventing the collapse of scaffolding structures.” Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 144 (8), 04018077.
- Cho, C., Park, J., and Kim, K. (2018). “Energy loss cement-based material for efficient sensor deployment at a site,” Canadian Journal of Civil Engineering, 45(7): 547-553.
- Cho, C., Yi, X., Li, D., Wang, Y., and Tentzeris, M.M. (2017). “Eigenvalue perturbation solution for the multi-physics simulation of antenna strain sensors,” IEEE Journal on Multiscale and Multiphysics Computational Techniques, 2:49-57.
- Li, D., Cho, C., and Wang, Y. (2017). “Patch antenna sensor rosettes for surface strain measurement: multiphysics modeling and experiments”, Smart Infrastructure and Construction, 170(2): 39-49.
- Cho, C., Yi, X., Li, D., Wang, Y., and Tentzeris, M.M. (2016). “Passive frequency doubling antenna sensor for strain and crack sensing,” Sensors Journal, IEEE, 16(14): 5725-5733.
- Yi, X., Cho, C., Wang, Y., Tentzeris, M.M. and Leon, R.T. (2016) “Battery-free slotted patch antenna sensor for strain and crack monitoring,” Smart Structures and Systems, 18(6): 1217-1231.
- Yi, X., Cho, C., Cooper, J., Wang, Y., Tentzeris, M.M. and Leon, R.T. (2013). “Passive wireless antenna sensor for strain and crack sensing electromagnetic modeling, simulation, and testing,” Smart Materials and Structures, 22(8): 085009.
- Zhu, D., Guo, J., Cho, C., Wang, Y. and Lee, K.M. (2012). “Wireless mobile sensor network for the system identification of a space frame bridge,” Mechatronics, IEEE/ASME Transactions on, 17(3): 499-507
- Cho, C., Lee, C., and Kim, J. (2011). “Prediction of column axial forces in inverted V-braced seismic steel frames considering brace buckling,” Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE 137(12), 1440-1450.