Assistant Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Office: Holmes Hall 337
Phone: (808) 956-5060
Areas of Specialty and Research Interest
- Transportation Systems Analysis and Modeling
- Smart Cities and Connected Communities
- Queueing Analysis and Measurement
- Environmental Sustainability
- Travel Behavior Analysis and Modeling
- Applied Econometrics and Data Analysis
- PhD, Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Maryland, College Park, 2007
- MS, Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, 2003
- BS, Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Texas at Austin, 2001
- Assistant Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Hawaii at Manoa, August 2019 – Present.
- Assistant Professor, Golisano Institute for Sustainability (GIS), Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT), August 2014 – August 2019.
- Research Assistant Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Portland State University (PSU), August 2010 – August 2014.
- Postdoctoral Scholar, Transportation Center (TC), Northwestern University, September 2007 – July 2010.
Courses Taught (in the last five years)
- CEE464: Urban & Regional Trans Plan (S’20)
- CEE622: Advanced Transportation Modelling and Statistics (F’19)
- CEE696: Smart Cities: Methodological Approaches (F’20)
- Member and Committee Communications Coordinator (CCC), Effects of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) on Travel Choices Standing Committee (ADB20), Transportation Research Board (TRB) of the National Academies of Science (NAS)
- Member, Institute for Operations Research and Management Sciences (INFORMS)
- Member, International Association of Travel Behavior Research (IATBR)
- Althaf, S., Babbitt, C. W. and R. B. Chen (2019) “Forecasting Electronic Waste Flows for Effective Circular Economy Planning,” Resources, Conservation and Recycling (forthcoming)
- Armington, W. R., Chen, R. B. and C. W. Babbitt (2019) “Challenges and Innovations in Food Waste-to-Energy Management and Logistics,” in Sustainable Food Waste-To-energy Systems (T. A. Trabold and C. W. Babbitt eds.), pp. 259-271.
- Chen, R. B. and A. Sekar (2018) “Investigating a Sense-of-Place and Non-motorized Site Access Frequency.” Journal of Transport Geography. Vol. 66, pp. 268-282.
- Armington, W. R. and R. B. Chen (2018) “Household Food Waste Collection: Building Service Networks through Neighborhood Expansion.” Waste Management, vol. 77, pp. 304-311.
- McConky, K., Chen, R. B. and G. Gavi (2018) “A Comparison of Motivational and Informational Contexts for Improving Eco-Driving Performance.” Transportation Research, Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour, vol. 52, pp. 62-74.
- Sekar, A., Williams, E. and R. B. Chen (2018) “Changes in Time Use and Their Effect on Energy Consumption in the United States.” Joule, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 521-536.
- Sekar, A., Williams, E., Hittinger, E. and R. B. Chen (2018) “How Behavioral and Geographic Heterogeneity Affects Economic and Environmental Benefits of Efficient Appliances” Energy Policy Accepted and in Press
- Chen, R. B. (2018) “Models of Count with Endogenous Choices.” Transportation Research, Part B: Methodological, vol 117, pp. 862-875
- Desai, R., Chen, R. B. and W. R. Armington (2017) “A Pattern Analysis of Daily Electric Vehicle Charging Profiles: Operational Efficiency and Environmental Impacts.” Journal of Adv. Transportation (online).
- Xu, Z, Kang, J. E. and R. B. Chen (2017) “A Random Utility Based Estimation Framework for the Household Activity Pattern Problem.” Transportation Research, Part A: Policy and Practice, vol. 114, pp. 321-337.
- Sekar, A., Chen, R. B., Cruzat, A. and M. Nagappan (2017) “Digital Narratives of Place: Learning about Neighborhood Sense of Place and Travel from Online Data and Reviews.” Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 2666, pp. 10-18.
- Sekar, A. Williams, E. and R. B. Chen (2015) “Heterogeneity in Time and Energy Use of Watching Television,” Energy Policy, vol. 93, pp. 50-58.
- Chen, R. B. and H. S. Mahmassani (2014) “Let it Rain: Weather Effects on Activity Stress and Scheduling Behavior,” Travel Behaviour and Society, Vol. 2(1), pp. 55-64.
- Chen, R. B., Gehrke, S., Jang, Y., Liu, J. and K. Clifton (2013) “Exploring Household Tenure and Type Choices and Activity Engagement,” Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, no. 2344, pp. 68-78.
- Mahmassani, H. S., Chen, R. B., Huang, Y., Williams, D. and N. Contractor (2010) “Time to Play: Activity Engagement in Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games,” Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, no. 2157, pp. 129-137.
- Chen, R. B. and H. S. Mahmassani (2009) “Learning and Risk Attitudes in Route Choice Behavior Dynamics,” in The Expanding Sphere of Travel Behavior Research, (R. Kitamura, T. Yoshii and T. Yamamoto eds.), pp. 791-818.
- Hamdar, S., Mahmassani, H. S. and R. B. Chen (2008) “Aggressiveness Propensity Index for Driving Behavior at Signalized Intersection,” Accident Analysis and Prevention, no. 40, vol.1, pp. 315-326.
- Chen, R. B. and H. S. Mahmassani (2004) “Travel Time Perception and Learning Mechanisms in Traffic Networks,” Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, no. 1894, pp. 209-221.