to Ph.D. Program
Applications are first screened by the Graduate
Division and are then forwarded to the Department for approval.
Application forms can be downloaded from the Graduate Division website.. Check the requirements below for eligibility.
Fall - March 1 for all applicants
Spring – September 1 for all applicants
- Completion of MS degree in civil engineering at UH Manoa or equivalent.
- GRE (Graduate Record Examination) General Test or FE (Fundamentals
of Engineering) scores*.
- Minimum GPA (Grade Point Average) of 3.0 or equivalent in the last
two years of undergraduate study and in all post-baccalaureate and
graduate-level course work. The GPA is calculated based on a
scale of 4.0=A.
- TOEFL scores for most non-native speakers of English – 600
minimum (250 for computer-based test). Click here for
information on exemptions.
- Three sealed Graduate Assistant Evaluation Forms and three letters of recommendation addressing potential ability to conduct PhD-level research.
- Statement of objectives, including area of graduate study interest. Download statement of objectives form.
*PhD applicants who receive their MS in civil engineering from UH Manoa
do not need to take the GRE or EIT.
Home | Admissions & Financial
Aid | Undergraduate
Study | Graduate
Study | Faculty & Staff | Research