Admission to Ph.D. Program
Applications are first screened by the Graduate Division and are then forwarded to the Department for approval. Applications are submitted online at the Graduate Division website. Check the requirements below for eligibility.
Fall – March 1 for all applicants, Spring – September 1 for all applicants
- Completion of MS degree in civil engineering at UH Manoa or equivalent. GRE (Graduate Record Examination) General Test or FE (Fundamentals of Engineering) scores*.
- Minimum GPA (Grade Point Average) of 3.0 or equivalent in the last two years of undergraduate study and in all post-baccalaureate and graduate-level course work. The GPA is calculated based on a scale of 4.0=A.
- TOEFL scores for most non-native speakers of English 600 minimum (250 for computer-based test). Click here for information on exemptions.
- Three sealed Graduate Assistant Evaluation Forms and three letters of recommendation addressing potential ability to conduct PhD-level research. Email completed form and recommendation letter directly to the CEE Graduate Chair.
- Statement of objectives, including area of graduate study interest. Download statement of objectives form. Email completed form directly to the CEE Graduate Chair.
*PhD applicants who receive their MS in civil engineering from UH Manoa do not need to take the GRE or EIT.